Privet advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem that the hedge in my garden (a privet aprox 6 foot high) is actually on the neighbours side of the boundary (the trunks) and the neighbour keeps cutting big holes in it etc. and making my side look a right mess

The neighbour seems to be cutting it completely upto the trunk on their side and there is over 2 foot wide growth on my side - they cut a branch off resulting in a 3 foot wide hole my side etc.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to plant my own hedge along side it (on my side of the boundary) so that whatever they do to their side mine will be ok
if so what would be the best way of doing this - do I need to cut the old hedge all the way back to the boundary to let the new ones take over or would just planting them and letting them get on with it work ?

any dvice most welcome ?

Sponsored Links
If you can talk to your neighbour, you both ought to cut it right back to about 6 inches high, then let it grow up again. That way it will grow thinshoots everywhere, so there won't be great holes every time your neighbour takes a hack. It will take a couple of years to regrow.

Problem is I cant make any sense of what the neighbour is doing with the hedge ?
so I feel sure that it would just happen again
as it looks like the hedge is on their side of the boundary it belongs to them so I have no say but keep being left with a joke of a hedge after investing a lot of time and effort keeping it cut etc.

so I figure my only options are grow my own hedge so if this is damaged it would be trespass and criminal damage
or give up on the hedge, cut it back to the boundary (leaving pretty much nothing) and install my own fence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back