Problem fitting an Essex flange for immersion heater.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a 2¼" Essex flange into the dome of a direct cylinder (900mm x 500mm) in order to instal a 27" heating element. I have tried to follow the instructions which state that a hole of 3 and 5 x 16ths" diameter should be made. Despite this I was not able to get the lugs of the flange through so I had to enlarge the hole slightly. This means that the hole is not quite circular and at its widest is 3 and 7 x 16ths". Also it is extremely difficult to tighten nut without the whole flange contraption moving from desired position. I am using some 18" stilsons and a very large pair of grips to hold (as best I can) the angled washer/collar in place. When the secured flange is as tight as I can make it a small section of the outer rubber gasket remains loose ie it can be moved slightly.

Does this sound suspiciously like a knackered cylinder or is there a way back?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
When the secured flange is as tight as I can make it a small section of the outer rubber gasket remains.
Remains where exactly?

Sponsored Links
Personally I've never fitted an essex flange for an immersion but it does sound like you've f'd the cylinder :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back