Problem fitting an IKEA Hektar lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought an IKEA Hektar lamp and having real problems fitting it. The only hooks I found were too big and the lamp doesn't sir right. Wht can't they supply hooks with the lamps? :(

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Post a piccy, we'll have a look at it.

We like pictures!

on the assumption it's this lamp (I realise it's a US website)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40216531/

I have the same problem with Philips Ecomoods pendants, they look great but the cover is a PITA to get square. It's all about getting the cable square in the middle of two the two hooks (or if you're just using one like the Philips fitting) getting the cable as tidy as you can in the cover so it doesn't push the cover out

Did you remove the ceiling rose?
There never was a ceiling rose. It is a new plasterboard ceiling
Assuming it is the Hektar pendant lamp.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60215205/
Have you read and followed their wonderfully descriptive (not) pictorial (yes) instructions?
There appears to be a ceiling rose or something of that ilk (smaller cup?)in the instructions that attaches directly to the ceiling and the main cup attaches to that.
Pictures would certainly help because the instructions don't!

I know this is slightly different from the American site but it seems close enough - not the bloomin price though $29.99 against £60 - ouch!

What a brilliant way to overcomplicate a fairly standard method of fitting ceiling lights.

I would be inclined to just drill two holes through the metal C bar either side of the 'rose' and screw directly into the ceiling. Otherwise the whole pendant is essentially just suspended by a cable tie

instruction manual at

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/assembly_instructions/hektar-pendant-lamp__AA-570248-2_pub.pdf

The lamp is not intended to be fitted where the cable comes through the ceiling, The cable from the lamp is intended to come out of the shell ( between shell and ceiling ) and go to a near by ceiling rose.

I had to fit a similar lamp, same instruction sheet.

This method is contrary to the manufaturer's instructions but works

Fix a L shaped bracket of 1½ inch by 1½ inch long to the ceiling.

Remove the terminal block on the cable anchor and disconnect the cables from it. Leave the cable in the anchor. Screw the cable anchor to the bracket using a nut and bolt. .

Take the cable from the lamp and join to the cables coming out of the ceiling with a three way terminal block. Live Neutral and Earth ( earth may not be needed in the lamp ) .

Ensure the inner plastic cup is in place. It is an essential part of the double insulation

Slide the metal cup up the cable until it is touching the ceiling and then tighten the clamp on the cable to hold the cup in place.

Have you read and followed their wonderfully descriptive (not) pictorial (yes) instructions?
They look straightforward enough.

Never understood this urban myth about Ikea instructions being hard to follow - they always seem clear to me, provided you pay attention, and look to see how things go together. I'm quite prepared to believe that bernard has found a better way, but the standard way is well described.

I've fitted these (Bernard's link) and they are poor.

I had to modify it similar to Bernard to get it to hang straight and get the cover level with the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back