Problem with ceiling light help needed

R&K

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are putting up a light fitting where the wires to the fitting are all identical with clear wiring. We were advised the check the wires with the continuity setting on a multimeter but using the instructions its unclear how to do this.

we just need a simple answer the wires from the ceiling are fine so we just need to check we are connecting earth to earth etc by using the meter

any advice?

Sponsored Links
Earth wires should be very obvious to spot and visually see that they are connected. They are thinner, usually have no insulation physically attached and just have a yellow/green sleeve over them. as for the live and switched live, if you only have 2 other wires in the light switch and its a single switch with no other switch in the house for that light you will put 1 wire in the top of the switch and the other at the bottom.

See this example: (if you switch is metal, ensure that also has an earth wire as well as the back box.
switchwires_1way_newcolour.png

Its actually a chandelier fitting we are putting up and the wires from the ceiling are fine as sleeves on them but the chandelier itself has 3 wires all identical so we need to know how to test these using a multimeter to check we are connecting correctly to the ceiling wires

Assuming your electric skills are very low so doing a live test is far too dangerous. You are wanting to find out which 2 wires are going to your light switch. The other wires would be joined together like for like. can you upload a picture so we can try give you some safer advice on what to try?

But this should be a typical wiring diagram that most likely represents what you will be trying to achieve.
singlepole75.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure our question has been understood correctly we are keen diyers and have fitted plenty of light fittings. Attached is a picture of the wires to the chandelier which you can see are identical. Having never used a multimeter we need to know how to use the continuity setting to wire correctly to the ceiling

Attachments

• IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 324
aaah ok I understand now, and wow such a bad cable they've used for this.

Is that the only cable for the chandelier? or is there more?
Can you see the pins/connectors where the bulbs go into it? (can you show a picture if so)

Hi they are normal screw bulbs picture of connection attached. We were advised to use a multimeter on continuity to find the earth and unsure how to actually do this and what we are looking for when we connect 2 wires

Attachments

• IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1306.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 168
Put your multimeter on continuity and place the test probes together you should hear it beep.
Place one test probe on the center brass pin inside that fitting and then the other probe place onto the silver wires until you hear the beep (Live).
Then repeat with the side brass pin (Neutral).
Then the final thing to check is the last wire to the metal on the chandelier (Earth).

which country did you buy this chandelier from?

Are there not colour stripes on the wires? blue , green, brown? or am I seeing things? The photo isn't in focus!

I think it would be a good idea to get an electrician to rewire the fitting to standard UK regulations to avoid problems in the future.

img_1285-jpg.112195

Hi, put the meter on continuity (ohms setting) if you short the two leads together and check the meter is working, remember to check the meter leads are in the correct terminals on the meter.

The wire going to the centre terminal of the lamp holder is L
The wire going to the threaded outer of the holder is N
The remaining wire is Earth

Please make sure you clearly mark each wire and I would suggest you use some earth sleeving over the clear earth wire to ensure it NEVER gets wrongly connected.

If the meter is not functioning on continuity check you have the test leads in the correct socket on the meter!

Regards,

DS

\

If there are no colour coding's on the wires then it is a very questionable light fitting, but were there no instructions in with it.

Omegas told you how to test which wire is which, and I'd mark them with tape and an earth sleeve as you work it out, but part of me's inclined to side with Bosswhite on this one.

As Echo says whenever I have seen this there is always a very fine bit of string in with the wire to show whats what and depending on the lamp you need for the fitting it some times only matters which is the earth so that one will have a green/yellow fiber in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back