problem with internet explorer amongst others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, i run my home system on windows xp pro, it is now some 4 years old give or take a few months, for some reason a few days ago, it became difficult to open internet explorer from the taks bar also double clicking on the desktop was the same the eyeglass would appear for a few seconds and then dissapear nothing would happen, however i used microsoft office outlook 2007 as my e mail and i could get that loaded, with difficulty however now it will not load and if i press send and receive nothing comes down from the server, it seems that something has gone terribly wrong with windows xp, (i think ) i run with norton 360 and i also have superantispyware, i has been checked with spybot and there are no bugs, any suggestions would be appreciated, it seems that the whole system is slowing down, is it time for an upgrade to windows 7

regards Dave

i have tried to do a system restore that does not work at all it tells me unable to restore to the date given,

Sponsored Links
1st thing to do is clear out all your temporary files, tool of choice is ATF Cleaner, it is free and you do not have to install it. Download and instructions here (Windows XP, 2K, 2003 & Vista ONLY)
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected - > OK

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:

* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.

How many restore points did you try?
What version of Internet Explorer do you have?
If not sure, open browser -> Help -> About and it should display the version, it should be v8. If not then in Help click Windows Update.

After running ATF, see how Internet Explorer acts. If it is not much better then download and install Firefox and see how that works. You don't need to keep it if you don't like it but give it a try and see how you get on.

dave

Sponsored Links
Back