Problem with my Mountfield petrol mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.
I've got a Mountfield Omega laser petrol mower. It will start eventually and idle on full throttle but cuts out all the time. I have used new clean unleaded fuel. Its had a new spark plug and have washed the filter out with petrol and added a drop of oil to the filter.

Any idea what the problem could be ?

Sponsored Links
Is this the first time of trying after winter?
If you left it full of fuel, I bet your carburettor has gummed up.
Get it serviced, or if you know what you are doing, dismantle and clean it out.

Hi there, we have had the same problem, it Idles, sputters, stops and starts, but we finally managed to finish cutting the grass.
Hubby did strip it down, cleaned plugs, changed fuel, and tried to fix it, but it still did the same.

In the end we bought another one at the weekend, another Mountfield, as this one had lasted us for a good few years, and were happy with its performance, as we have had others, but still prefer Mountfield.

Like Trazor says, unless you know what your doing, or you can get someone to service it.

Hubby said he would rather buy another one, as he wasnt too sure if it still would have worked after whoever looked at it.

There is companies that buy these mowers, and sell them as reconditioned.

If your thinking of buying another Mountfield like we did, then the cheapest place found was B&Q wharehouse, they had a special offer on, as we trawled everywhere, and on the net, and B&Q had the best deal.

I cant remember the model number, but it was a bigger horsepower to the orginal one, bigger cutting thingy, and a key start, the old one had the cord start where you had to pull it.

It worked out we got for approx £120 less than the original price.( according to the display board) :D

Just currious did you hang trhe mower on a hook when you stored it for the winter?
if so the oil in the base has gone into the cylinders and spark plug cavity,in this case pull the plug clean well, pull cord 4 or 5 times no plug, squirt raw gas into plug hole, replace plug and start it up.
You may have to do this 3 or 4 times before it stays running do to excessive oil coming out.
this also happens if you turn mower on its side when you clean the blade and mower pan of clippings for long periods of time.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem, cylinder heads bolts had come loose, tightened them up and vroom vroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back