Problems removing a door lock

lwh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got an old front door lock which I wanted to change. However I am struggling even to remove it: the front knob can be turned 360 degrees but it doesn’t go; there seems to be a screw hole on the back but there’s no screw in it! I’ve managed to remove the cylinder but had no luck removing those handles, anyone could shed any light on this? I’ve attached pictures for your close examination!

Many thanks in advance!

Wayne

View media item 46018 View media item 46019

Sponsored Links
The handles are just thumped on, it's the little black things you can see at the top and bottom of the handler that are screwed through the door, then the white handle clips over them covering the fixing screws

The handles are just thumped on, it's the little black things you can see at the top and bottom of the handler that are screwed through the door, then the white handle clips over them covering the fixing screws

thanks crank39 - so shall i remove the handles first, followed by the black "padding" and finally the clips?

No just unclip the white cover plate and the screws are behind it

Sponsored Links
No just unclip the white cover plate and the screws are behind it

Thanks masona - it looks like the handles sit on top of those white cover plates. I found and removed the screws on the handles (see the pics) but still couldn't remove the handles or unclip the cover plates. The black things couldn't be taken out either... basically i removed all the screws I could find but non of the handle bits would go :(

Any further help is much appreciated!

View media item 46241 View media item 46239 View media item 46238 View media item 46242

im wondering if they are an allen bolt?
or wether they are just hammered in???

sometimes the black caps can be pushed off, though IIRC they usually attach to the backing plate and the cover is pushed over them.

I think I can see a retaining grubscrew in the shank of the inside handle

As per my first post, the black plastic end caps are screwed to the door with a through bolt which holds the inside and outside caps in place, the handle is then just pushed/forced,thumped on till it clicks and locks onto the black end caps.

I can also see the holes for a grub screw on each lever, i assume you've took these out, if you have then all thats holding the handle on is the black caps

As per my first post, the black plastic end caps are screwed to the door with a through bolt which holds the inside and outside caps in place, the handle is then just pushed/forced,thumped on till it clicks and locks onto the black end caps.

I can also see the holes for a grub screw on each lever, i assume you've took these out, if you have then all thats holding the handle on is the black caps

Hi crank39 - Yes I've taken the grub screws out, are you saying what I should do next is to remove the black caps (by force? as I can't find any screws holding them)? Then the handles should go?

No what im saying is you need to flick the white handles off the black end caps, the caps can stay on, they are only there to hold the handles on and don't hold the lock or barrel in in any way shape or form.

You need to get something sharp between the door and handle, near the ends and un clip the handle from the end cap, this will expose the screws that hold the caps on but like i said they can stay on, once the handle clips on to some teeth on the end cap it covers the screws, you'll never remove the end caps while they're screwed on, the screws are behind the white handle, unclip the handle and you'll expose the screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back