Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5682.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG
I have a two gang two way dimmer switch and two gang two way switch.

They are used to control 8 lights (4 each).

They are currently wired as shown above.

The lights operated by the left gang of the switch and the left gang of the dimmer work fine but I can't get the other 4 lights to work.

Any help or advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Did they work before as some point? If so it is most likely the right dimmer is faulty, those MEM dimmers are very poor quality and don't last long, it looks like the other one has been replaced at some point. What lights are the dimmers controlling, it needs to be compatible with the dimmer. You should be able to swap the faulty module easily, but whatever you do, don't mix up the wiring. You must also not fit metal switch plates as your cables have all the earth conductors cut out.

Hi thanks for your reply. Yep they were both working fine a few weeks ago then I went to change the switches to new ones and couldn't get it working. I then put back in the old switches but must haven't wired them incorrectly! So I'm sure it's just a case of getting them correctly wired again!

Your diagrams "look" alright so, if dimmer is not faulty, then it can only be assumed that one of the conductors is not connecting properly or is broken.

Sponsored Links
As above your diagram would appear to work. If I was there it would be straightforward to test, but for now there are some quick checks that can be made.
Turn the electricity off.
First, check that the screw terminals are gripping the copper, not the insulation in all terminals, give each wire a gentle pull to make sure it is gripped.
If that is all good, at the dimmer switch, the side that is not working, mark the yellow wire from terminal L1 with some tape or similar so you don't forget it. Disconnect this marked yellow wire and connect it in with the 2 wires in L2, tighten terminals L1 and L2. Switch the electricity back on, the lights that didn't work before should now be on permanently. If they are on, then either the dimmer is faulty or the switch at the other end.
Switch off the electricity and return the yellow wire back to L1 where it came from. Replace the defective dimmer/switch.

If the lights don't come on, the fault could be elsewhere. If you mixed up the 3 cables the lights would not behave as they are so I don't think it's that.

As above your diagram would appear to work. If I was there it would be straightforward to test, but for now there are some quick checks that can be made.
Turn the electricity off.
First, check that the screw terminals are gripping the copper, not the insulation in all terminals, give each wire a gentle pull to make sure it is gripped.
If that is all good, at the dimmer switch, the side that is not working, mark the yellow wire from terminal L1 with some tape or similar so you don't forget it. Disconnect this marked yellow wire and connect it in with the 2 wires in L2, tighten terminals L1 and L2. Switch the electricity back on, the lights that didn't work before should now be on permanently. If they are on, then either the dimmer is faulty or the switch at the other end.
Switch off the electricity and return the yellow wire back to L1 where it came from. Replace the defective dimmer/switch.

If the lights don't come on, the fault could be elsewhere. If you mixed up the 3 cables the lights would not behave as they are so I don't think it's that.

Thanks for the advice. I have done that and the lights that previously did not work now remain on permanently. I can use the dimmer and the switch for the other set of four lights, but oddly I need to use the right switch now to turn them on/off instead of the left switch.

So this confirms both the switches work fine at that end. I also changed some wired to confirm that both dimmers also work so I'm sure it's just maybe one or two cables that are incorrect.

Thanks, Peter

Hmm that's very strange. If no one comes forward with a solution i'll have a think later.

Hi, anyone have any idea how I can wire this so that all the lights are permanently on?

Thanks

Peter

Hang on, hang on.....nobody has asked why the switches are mounted in a furry wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back