Problems with flushing cistern since replacing arm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

A few months back the rod the arm's attached to snapped and I replaced with the closest length I could find to the original.

However, I'm now finding the arm doesn't return to it's correct position after a flush (e.g. the handle is still down) which means the flush mechanism isn't resetting for the next flush. It looks like the arm 'sticking' on the C hook.

I've attached a couple of photos below, would someone be kind enough to advise, do I need a longer rod, different arm/lever, C hook or?

The current rod (including plastic fitting) extends 120mm into the cistern and the flush lift rod is 140mm from same cistern edge.

While I don't mind giving the handle a a bit of a wiggle to sort it out there is a certain lady of the house who is scream blue murder the toilet is broken.

Photos, 1. before flush; 2. at flush; 3. post flush

Thanks

Simon

20170115_120722.jpg
20170115_120732.jpg
20170115_120742.jpg

Sponsored Links
The arm is still a bit on the short side.....ideally it needs to be in line with the blue post that causes the diaphragm inside to be lifted as vertically as possible.
John :)

John,

Thanks, do you or anyone out there know where supplies 140mm arms (that's the measurement from the inside edge of the cistern to the blue post, including fixing). At the time I tried both Wickes and B&Q and this was the longest they carried

Regards.

Sponsored Links
@Madrab. That looks very similar to the one I picked up: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Cistern-Lever-Chrome/p/216980
Sadly the '173mm' is the total length of handle and bar and is 20mm short of being over the pin. The search continues, but thanks for the suggestion of trying a shorter C-hook.

@Burnerman. Thanks for the link and suggestion, they seem to have several lengths. However, I'll check local plumbing merchants for short length first as the delivery is more than the product.

Thanks.

but thanks for the suggestion of trying a shorter C-hook.
I wasn't suggesting a shorter C link @eviltoad, you need to get the top loop of the link through the hole in the plastic arm so it can hinge properly. At the moment it's tight against the straight bar part of the link so it will not allow it to move properly

@Madrab I'm with you now. Right it's in the top of the loop and so far ( half a dozen flushes) it flushes fine each time. Only thing left to resolve is to get the handle/blue rod to reset after the flush to the correct position. It's almost as if there is friction somewhere preventing this. Is this something obvious or am I looking at replacing a part for this matter?

Pretty sure if you can get the blue rod, C clip and handle in a near vertical plane that'll be cured.....I think the blue rod is being pulled over at an angle.
You can test by disconnecting the handle and just pulling the C clip up...it'll reset every time.

@Burnerman. That seems to be the case.

So the blue rod is 140mm from the right internal edge of the cistern.

So to position that right I'm looking for a 140mm (internal to cistern) handle/bar - as reference that would be a 193mm (not 173mm) total length based on the one from Wickes.

I'm guessing as the with plastic arm would be over the blue rod I'll need a shorter C - Hook as well.

Attachments

• 20170115_181245.jpg
    20170115_181245.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170115_181257.jpg
    20170115_181257.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 93
Yep, there's a bit of suck-it-and-see with these, but a longer square rod is the way to start, anyway. Sometimes you can rotate the rod on the plastic lever to give you a more positive press, if you like but occasionally the lever then clunks on the underside of the cistern lid!
Good luck with it

To be honest that should work ok now. The return is controlled by a spring internal to the syphon above the diaphragm and when the syphon action of the flush is broken by the air entering the bottom then the spring should push the diaphragm back down and therefore the lever backup. Either of these may be getting tired and the angle is compounding the issue, though for £6 then it's a no brainer replacement.
You can bend the C link in the middle to shorten it if needed.

Or OP could try to gently heat the white plastic leaver with an electric hot air blower gun and when it starts to feel soft pliable, bend it towards the plunger rod (blue) and allow it to cool in that position, so you reform its shape with heat. This would make it sit more closer to the top of the rod, worth a try and if it doesn't work still get a new longer length handle.

(When heating the white plastic leaver, direct heat at it gently (not full blast) and shield the heat from reaching other plastic parts, if you can't do this then best to remove it and then heat it outside but still leaving the square rod in that square hole as otherwise heat may shrink its size and then you would not be able to push it back on again. Even a hair dryer will do the job but may take more longer time to heat it.

Cheer's folks..
Food for thought.
Your time is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back