Problems with Vaillant Turbomax combi not firing up on HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Vaillant combis each ten years old in the same house, which contains a basement flat. There are constant problems with the larger unit failing to light up. It is either a 242 or 282 - it is hard to read the number. But it fails with this ignition fault quite regularly and costs a lot to fix, before failing again. It does so sometimes and not at other times. Sometimes it ceases hot water flow in the middle of a bath run. This can be resolved by turning the CH right up, but of course that uses a lot of gas in summer.

The smaller unit is also a Turbomax but I am unable to find a model number. It heats two rooms and one shower. It was operating CH perfectly but not hot water. A gas engineer came in and now it will provide neither CH nor hot water- although he swears he broke nothing - but then demanded thousands of pounds for a new installation.

I have not been able to find a trustworthy repairer in the local West London area, and those that come either refuse to quote or treat me as an idiot. One wanted to replace all the gas pipes, although they are not more than 25 years old. Vaillant itself will charge several hundred pounds just to examine either unit, without any guarantee that it will fix it within that price.

I feel that armed with a little more knowledge on the probable fault, and how difficult it might be to remedy, I might be in a better position to negotiate. Help!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you may have two faults, an ignition fault and a failing diverter valve.

These are totally repairable boilers but it seems that you do not want to pay to engage proper engineers.

Vaillant charge reasonable fees yet you think they are more than you want to pay! Independents are cheaper.

I am sure that you have had it explained to you that your gas supply is undersized and should be upgraded. Yet you conveniently choose to forget that and side track to the age of the pipes which is totally irrelevant!

Tony Glazier

Thank you for your answer.

I am using Vaillant although they are expensive and charge whether or not they can fix anything.

I am not against using independents but have not been able to find one that I trust.

I can see no reason why the piping should be too small as the flat is not more than 30 sq meters in total and the piping is the same size as one that works perfectly well in the house that is three times as large.

Sponsored Links
What are your reasons for not trusting me?

Why do you think that without any training you can determine the gas pipe size required?

A clue, it depends on the boiler's gas consumption and the effective length of pipe! NOT the size of the property!

Tony

What reason did he give to replacing the gas pipe? Also what light does it get upto before it fails to light?

Nathan

Thank you for your interest.

The larger boiler fails to light, intermittently. it can occasionally be lit by repeatedly turning off and using the igniter switch. If CH is set on the thermostat to a high enough temperature, it will still always ignite. When it does not ignite, only the basic light comes on. It does not light anything up the column at all.

With the basement unit which was working CH but not HW until a gas man came to fiddle, but now does neither, only the base light comes on and it will not fire up at all.

The man who wanted to replace all gas distribution pipes for the smaller boiler suggested that new Combis need a far greater gas flow and therefore pressure.

I am somewhat sceptical of this, but would be pleased to be put right.

Modern condensing boilers need a larger gas supply, the pressure is the same as.

Why not give Agile a call and the problem should be solved, (at a cost) which is what any good business does.

I can assure you, you wont find better.

Most manus engineers just turn up chuck a load of parts at it, and move on.

Now I don't know whether that applies to the bunnies in the CC or not.

I'm sure by now you know the phrase 'bunny boys' refers to the likes of..

Bunnyman
MrV
Bell
harold

etc etc. ;)

No disrespect DIA but to put Tony on the same par as the 'bunny boys' is quite funny. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back