Procedure - draining to move pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to move a couple of hot and cold water pipes (and the main stop cock - see other post), so I'm just going through in my head what needs to be done to avoid me getting wet feet. How's the following sound?

1. Remove power to boiler system
2. Turn stop tap off (forget I'm moving that too, for now)
3. Run off hot water (as far as I know, there's no outlet stop valve on the cylinder) (Thinking don't need to tie up any ball cocks, since mains water is off)
4. Open cold taps too
5. Drain system if possible.
6. Move pipes.
7. Put all back together and restore water, putting corrosion inhibitor in the small header tank.
8. Check for leaks, be happy 'cause I did a good job, and crack open a celebratory beer.

Missed anything?

Sponsored Links
1. Remove power to boiler system ------- No need to remove power just turn off

2. Turn stop tap off (forget I'm moving that too, for now)--------- Yes always a good idea

3. Run off hot water (as far as I know, there's no outlet stop valve on the cylinder) (Thinking don't need to tie up any ball cocks, since mains water is off) ------- Correct turning mains off and draining is ok
4. Open cold taps too ------------- Correct
5. Drain system if possible. ? ----------------- Not unless you are moving heating pipes
6. Move pipes. ---------- Yes
7. Put all back together and restore water, putting corrosion inhibitor in the small header tank. --------- Not unless you have drained the heating

8. Check for leaks, be happy 'cause I did a good job, and crack open a celebratory beer-------- Correct again Beer sounds good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back