Producing a presentation using HTML

There are some really good java script programs out there. Those you show are impressive. I use front page because it has an English spell checker. Dreamweaver only seems to have a US spell checker and I am dyslexic so I do need one. However often write in word and copy and paste.

The college where I was taught had some odd products they must have been paid by manufacturers to use their products.

Pictures processed in Photoshop with when I was there a mixture of CS3 to CS5 no option to use free programs like gimp, UFRaw, Picturenaut etc even though in some cases better.

Used Microshit Office not Open Office so all VBA not Java based.

And web pages all done with Front Page yet the flash package one would normally buy included Dreamweaver although at that time it was not Adobe but Micromedia.

I find even though there may be better programs I tend to stick with those I was taught to use. For my photography I love RAW 5.7 but the rest of Photoshop CS4 is no better than the free programs. But once I start with Photoshop hardly going to swap after to another program.

You talk about "With CSS you can use z-index" I had noticed the z-index with pull down menu but to be frank not a clue what it does I had stolen it from the joomla web site he runs in parallel to the one I do and used trial and error to see what bits I needed. That is one thing that put me off joomla the code was in bits and pieces scattered all around the site so to work out what was really required was a nightmare.

It was nearly as bad as using word to write a web page. OK it works but try to alter something and it's a nightmare working out what one needs to change. I spent ages finding out simple things like what margin-left: 5px; did and lining up text with pictures. When that is hidden among a whole load of other stuff much it would seem unused anyway it takes even longer. So not surprised it took the other guys so long to write the web page. Their answer to most questions was the same. "It can't be done" which really means in all the unused CSS code they couldn't find the bit that controlled what they wanted.

So for the moment I am leaving joomla alone. Getting too old to learn new systems at least not without returning to college and having a teacher to sort it all out when it goes wrong. Took me ages to realise writing can't instead of can/'t was stopping whole web page working.

At least a break until after Christmas I think!

Sponsored Links
Have you considered Wordpress? (http://wordpress.com/) easy to set up, hundreds of free templates. you can play around with templates easily, big community of support too

Sponsored Links
Have you considered Wordpress? (http://wordpress.com/) easy to set up, hundreds of free templates. you can play around with templates easily, big community of support too

Ah! I was reading through this and was going to make this recommendation, too!

Opps recommends Joomla and I think someone mentioned Drupal - these are both absolutely excellent products for a semi/very experienced web dev to create a complex and comprehensive Content Management System (CMS).

But they are overkill for what Eric and Illif want, and Wordpress would be perfect; you can get the pages up and running very quickly and then Eric can hand over creation and editing of the pages to Illif and run away, very quickly.
You can get up and running very quickly, for £0.00, at www.wordpress.com

If and when you find that you need extra functionality, then Wordpress has "plugins" that can do audio, video, picture galleries and all sorts.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back