Project Manager

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on this?

I am renovating a townhouse in London to include a new kitchen, 2 bathrooms, basement extension + moving two stud walls. Total cost likely to be c.120k.

I don't have time to manage the project myself, and have been quoted a PM fee of 15% of the contractor costs + 15% of the price of furniture and fittings. This sounds like c.£20k to the PM to manage the building process and source fittings for a 3 month (?) job. It sounds way over the top, but what sort of rate and on what basis should I be paying?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds very excessive to me, PM fees will vary from the paltry to the crazy, get a few more quotes and go from there.

Can't understand why he'd want 15% of the cost of the furniture and fittings. Is he sourcing these ?? Somehow I doubt it. 20k for a 3 month job, Either he's having a laugh at your expense, or I'm in the wrong profession. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi

Check out some references, ask for 5 and check out/arrange to visit any 3 at your discretion, if they come back good you should have no problems. Don't forget to ask for a copy of his 'professional indemnity insurance'!

The fee the PM is charging depends on the amount of work you are expecting the PM to do - If you have a detailed architects drawing/specification then not too bad, if not then not too good.

The minimum fee you would be looking at would be around £15,000 but if the PM has to do a lot of sourcing and getting approvals then this cost could easily go up to £24,000 so all in all £20,000 isn't sounding too bad - you could always negotiate say look to gain an 8% reduction in costs. Whatever you do - do not pay in full until you are satisfied that the job has been completed to the required standards - I assume you will be using the RIBA short form of contract against which stage payments can be agreed?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Widen your search to include other building professionals to manage the work - surveyors, engineers etc.

Fees will vary depending on the level of involvement, but you can negotiate a fixed fee or a %, but your existing quote seems quite a lot.

Why don't you just agree something with a reputable builder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back