Project Side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, I am so grateful for all the advice received on this forum so far. The small jobs are now taken care of. We now have extension permission to do the side infill, approx 3.8m x 1.2m. I am completely clueless on where to begin. Please can someone let me know:
1. What are the tasks involved?
2. Dependencies and sequence of tasks involved?
3. Building regs inspection stages?
4. Any information about materials, fixtures and fittings?
5. Any other things I need to know?

Sponsored Links
LOL. Good luck to anyone that wants to spend half a day answering that lot.

Me, I'd just look at the bottom of this page:rolleyes:

LOL. Good luck to anyone that wants to spend half a day answering that lot.

Me, I'd just look at the bottom of this page:rolleyes:
I am sorry it has come out that way. I just wanted to have some awareness of the process as ignorance has cost us a lot financially and emotionally. We relied on our architect to complete everything from planning to build accepting whatever fee asked. After 6 months and a good amount on just drawings and planning process(that we didn't need, in hindsight) he told us that there is a shortage of contractors in the Industry and people are paying more to have works completed and still have to wait long. At that pint we decided to let go of him and called small tradesmen to complete the internal works.
Small tradesmen were good at what they did, however, the problem was managing and coordinating various trades. Small trades will usually have many works to juggle around so the process drags.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get some quotes from a builder I guess.
I am not trying to replace a good builder. Trust me, before doing this post I went on check a trade and tried contacted 17 local builders. 9 out of 17 did not answer their phone call/voice mail. 6, picked up the phone, did not even ask what the work is and said busy for next 18 months. 2 of them asked what the work is and said we are busy till March call back after March if we have any free slot we will let you know.
Some of them were so arrogant that I was almost in tears.

I am not trying to replace a good builder. Trust me, before doing this post I went on check a trade and tried contacted 17 local builders. 9 out of 17 did not answer their phone call/voice mail. 6, picked up the phone, did not even ask what the work is and said busy for next 18 months. 2 of them asked what the work is and said we are busy till March call back after March if we have any free slot we will let you know.
Some of them were so arrogant that I was almost in tears.

Which part of the UK are you in?

am sorry it has come out that way. I just wanted to have some awareness of the process as ignorance has cost us a lot financially and emotionally.

Its a big subject, so rather than someone retype what has come up numerous times before, it would be better for you to search the questions and answers and then just ask more specific questions if you have them afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back