Promblems with PVC Windows Making Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had some new PVC window fitted a few months ago and now they've started making noise. They make a creaking/cracking sound like someone whas lent on the frame, it doesn't make noise constantly, but it does do it consistently. It's been happening for two weeks now and weather/external condtions don't seem to make a difference, it makes noise just the same. The widow is right above my bed and it's disturbing my sleep, any help would be very much welcome.

Sponsored Links
Now im not saying this is it but pvc windows do creak and crack due to expansion and contraction, they expand all day in the sun then cool down at night, but those noises wouldn't keep me awake, have you spoken to the window company?

The PVC-U element within a PVC-U window is a thermoplastic material - as such it will expand and contract when subjected to variations in temperature.
This fact is known to the system suppliers (and to reputable installers) and is accommodated with the design of the window/door by ensuring there is a gap of 5-7mm between the frame and wall. Without this gap the frame material could come into contact with the building structure and put stress on the glass/units and hardware - inevitably resulting in failure.
The amount of movement will vary according to the nature of the raw material itself and the environmental conditions at the time. The difference between internal temperatures and those externally will be the main cause of the creaking that you hear - a southerly exposure to full sun will only make the problem worse.
Assuming that the expansion gap has been provided for and the windows have been correctly designed and manufactured there is nothing that you can do, coloured and especially dark woodgrained foils will likely make the problem even worse.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem with my new windows. It's very annoying and always the same point on the window that the noise comes from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back