Country
United Kingdom
Very often on here there are folk who want information on the same old topics:

How to reconnect lighting cables at rose/ switch once disconnected

How to connect a Class II fitting vis-a-vis the cpc

What to do when an RCD/ RCBO is regularly tripping

etc....

You know how it is.

Many of these folk do not make a search to look for any answers and generate a new thread.

How about if the forum were altered so that a search box pops up first prompting folk to enter their issue and search for a solution before posting a new thread?

Sponsored Links
The downside to that is, it would inevitably serve to reactivate old threads regularly when people pick up on long forsaken discussions.

Unless there was advise to read the thread first, and then activate a new one if more information is required.

I'm always amazed that people don't even seem to bother to make a basic web search first, before raising a question.

How about if the forum were altered so that a search box pops up first prompting folk to enter their issue and search for a solution before posting a new thread?
One problem with that, particularly for common topics such as you mention, is that a search will usually result in hundreds of hits, few of which will probably be precisely what someone wants, and I doubt that they would bother to trawl through umpteen.

For things that truly are repetitive 'FAQs', our wiki is (should be) the answer. We probably ought to maintain and augment it more, and much more often direct people to it rather than answering their questions ('yet again'). However, I don't doubt that some would be unhappy with that - saying that they "came here for advice, but were just told to go away and do some reading" (does that remind you of anything?!).

Some may regard the behaviour of many OPs as 'lazy'. However, speaking for myself, I will often ask a colleague a question if I think they may be able to tell me the answer 'off the top of their head', even though I know that, if I expend sufficient time/energy, I could find the answer for myself. It may be 'lazy' but, at least from the point-of-view of the questioner, it can be the most 'efficient' course!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
When we answer a thread I hope we all actually read the question and answer with that in mind, so if JohnW2 was to ask a question the answer from me would be very different to the same question asked by an unknown poster.

A few years ago I tried to advise some one how to work out which wires were which on a ceiling rose, without using a meter. I wrote down detailed instructions (not on this forum) and read through what I had written, and I was satisfied I had got it correct.

The result was I was banned. I don't think I made an error, however the guy who complained did have a valid point, the reader could make an error in reading and could make a mistake which could put them in some danger.

Many posts we don't agree with each other, and we have also ridiculed those who try to post videos on Utube as most will miss out some point which we think places the viewer at risk.

To formulate an fool proof method we would need to have a private discussion and iron out any flaws before it was placed in the public domain. Any errors would leave us open as one would assume once done it would not be open to further discussion or it would result is another thread with 100's of answers which no one wants to read.

Some times I am reminded of my mistakes when I was younger, and the problems I had grasping a concept or method. Nothing to do with electrics but I remember first time I drove a flat bed wagon, and my problems roping and sheeting, and also how it seemed to just click, and then I would also do it that fast others could not follow what I was doing.

So what you need is an apprentice, and a thick one at that, so you can see if the instructions work. But once he improves then he's no good.

Many years ago I started watching Time Team with Tony Robinson. The good thing was Tony Robinson knew nothing and asked the same questions I wanted to ask. However as he learnt more, his questions started to reflect his knowledge and so later Time Team episodes he did not ask the right questions and it lost it's appeal.

Having a Wiki is great, but when the site was revamped many of the standard answers were lost, and it will take a lot of effort to replace the pages with peer read and corrected versions which we all feel are unlikely to lead the reader astray.

Most OPs want some informed help on their issue, with on hand (although remote) helpful advise that is bespoke to their question. They could (if not being lazy) go through the search process, which will likely flag up all sorts of unrelated topics.
And could possibly mislead the OP.
I think probably it would be wise, if the OP actually acquired the correct knowledge, before undertaking simple tasks that are beyond them!!!

Most of the basic wiring tasks are within Wiki, so maybe a search linked to Wiki would be advised?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back