Protecting newly Emulsioned Bathroom Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just painted the bathroom in ordinary emulsion, matte, and have now discovered that there's special bathroom paint :rolleyes: (don't ask - never done it before, had no idea with all the choices anyway! Hard enough to choose a colour, which in my defense, doesnt exist in bathroom range.)

Anyway, the walls are bound to get some splashes, so is there a matte varnish I can put over the top to protect and be able to wipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Matt emulsion is not the best choice of paint for areas subject to a high humidity factor. there are available certain sealers and products such as polyvine that will glaze the surface, yet in your situation it is not something of which I would recommend.

You would be far better advised to apply an eggshell paint over your matt,
problem solved.

Dec.

Not so many years ago, “bathroom” paint never existed & I’m still not convinced it actually does :confused: . It only became necessary as a result of double glazing, a lack of any natural ventilation & the modern aversion to fresh air & actually opening windows; this is why it’s now a regulation requirement to have an extract fan in new bathrooms.

Ventilate your bathroom properly when necessary & ordinary emulsion will last just as long (or as long as your boredom threshold allows) as expensive bathroom stuff & probably at 1/3 the cost! ;)

the modern aversion to fresh air & actually opening windows; this is why it’s now a regulation requirement to have an extract fan in new bathrooms.

:D

I knew they needed timers, but not that.

There's another example of that, lighting.

We now sit around in dark offices / houses all day, then flick lights on at night.

To shorten out all the science, I can assure you, our brains notice that. The blue cones in your eyes pick up the light and use it to control the circadian clock that tells you when to sleep. In effect, we're reversing the pattern, causing us to be more sleepy during the day and more awake at night. The pattern doesn't work in an on / off method, it takes hours and a rhythm (like the sun rising and falling over days / weeks) to shift it. So simply flicking the big lights off 10 minutes before bed won't work.

They've actually measured the effect by putting hampsters in light controlled environments and then a sensor on their wheel, plotting the spinning on the wheel against time and lighting. When the lighting periods are moved, the awake / sleep pattern of the hampster starts shifting to match it, because it has no idea when the sun is rising or falling anymore.

Things like that could have very deep reaching social impacts. Almost everyone is doing it, and it's messing with a very fundamental part of our brains.

{edit}Oh... also of note is that there are now regulations for light intensity in office blocks; e.g. it must be AT LEAST xxx. People go on about the nanny state, well... a lot of people obviously need that it seems. :p

Sponsored Links
Not so many years ago, “bathroom” paint never existed & I’m still not convinced it actually does :confused: . It only became necessary as a result of double glazing, a lack of any natural ventilation & the modern aversion to fresh air & actually opening windows; this is why it’s now a regulation requirement to have an extract fan in new bathrooms.

Ventilate your bathroom properly when necessary & ordinary emulsion will last just as long (or as long as your boredom threshold allows) as expensive bathroom stuff & probably at 1/3 the cost! ;)
My bathroom NEEDS an extractor - the flatus nearly takes the paint off the walls :eek: I`m thinking of a low level one near the WC. Acrylic Egshell is same as DIY shed "bathroom paint"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back