Protruding RSJ above the finished floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to slice off the top part of an RSJ that is protruding above the floor [image removed]? It is an H style beam with the exposed bit above not holding anything so can't see why it will weaken anything.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How/why has it ended up like that? I'm guessing you won't physically be able to cut it down and nor should you.

Might have to look at raising the floor.

You should be having words with the architect to find out why this has happened. It is not okay to slice the top off.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I should have mentioned that it came like that when we bought the house, so it's the work of the previous owner when he did the extension in the 1980s. It was hidden amongst furniture when we viewed the property a few years ago and as part of a major rebuild now I'm just wondering what I can do.

Given that the exposed part is not holding anything, why can't I just trim the top bit off - my analogy being that it is like the end of a fingernail, as long as the main part is doing its thing, the end it is not doing much and is cantilevered.

i'm certainly not planning to raise the floor and lose more headroom.

Take up the floor boards and take new pics. Identify what the RSJ is doing.

It's too late for all that. The new floors went down already and the plasterboard for the loft sides have already gone up. The builder mentioned it during the works but not sure much could be done hence the question about trimming the top.

It's a complete co*k-up, but cutting the top flange off and part of the web may not, in practice, be a problem.

It depends on the loading and span, and how much of the depth of the web actually needs to come off. If it can be shown that the
shear on the web is within the limits, and that there is no risk of web-buckling, then it would be OK.
Problem is, Building Control would ask for figures for this from the SE, = £££.

As it looks like a loft conversion, the loads will be relatively low. Is the beam a 152 x 152?

Could this RSJ, which now is not doing anything be a load spreader for the original strut sitting under the roof purlin. Son in law had such an arrangement in his bungalow loft. In his case the builder removed it when putting in the loft conversion.
Frank

Your builder is total crap. There are only three screws per run of plasterboard and the floor board joints are not even close. The socket boxes are cheap diy board fixing ones and I doubt he'll be putting any intumescent liners in them.

And is that steel even level? It looks much lower to the left edge of the photo.

But that steel. I still can't stop chuckling.

It's too late for all that. The new floors went down already and the plasterboard for the loft sides have already gone up. The builder mentioned it during the works but not sure much could be done hence the question about trimming the top.

I just can't understand why the builder didn't mention it til now - especially if you're having 'major works' done. Why compound the original builder's mistakes?!

Given that the exposed part is not holding anything, why can't I just trim the top bit off - my analogy being that it is like the end of a fingernail, as long as the main part is doing its thing, the end it is not doing much and is cantilevered.

Because the way an I beam works is that the top and bottom flanges are the pieces doing most of the work resisting the bending in the beam. They are not just there to attach things to. Depending on the location in the span it MAY be possible, but you'll need a SE to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back