Pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on my 3rd new pull switch for a bathroom light. Elecrically they are ok for a short while then they fail because the mechanical bit just stops working. I have bought them from different outlest and they all look and work the same way. Can anyone suggest a good quality pull switch which will last more than a 100 pulls?

Sponsored Links
Crabtree

Don't buy from eBAY, or the 'sheds'

ban.gif

One of the problems that arises with ceiling mounted pull cord switches, is that the dust and debris from above the ceiling falls through the hole made for the cable. This then can effect the mechanism of the switch, often causing it to jam and not function.
Solution to this problem, is to seal the hole of cable entry at ceiling to prevent this happening or you will continue to spend money on new switches!
The likelihood is there is nothing wrong with the switches, other than dust and carp inside the mechanism!

Sponsored Links
One of the problems that arises with ceiling mounted pull cord switches, is that the dust and debris from above the ceiling falls through the hole made for the cable. This then can effect the mechanism of the switch, often causing it to jam and not function.
Solution to this problem, is to seal the hole of cable entry at ceiling to prevent this happening or you will continue to spend money on new switches!
The likelihood is there is nothing wrong with the switches, other than dust and carp inside the mechanism!

how does that happen?

Unless it is the inertia of the dust/debris accreting to the pull cord mechanism just under the switch housing within the accessory, moving upwards very slowly with each pull, towards the mechanism. pull slow, release quickly.

how does that happen?
Shyt from above ceiling falls through great big hole made in ceiling and mounting box for switch for cable to enter, so it can be terminated to switch, this shyt then gets in the switching mechanism, that is how it happens, something to do with something Isaac Newton, Kim Woodburn and Aggie MacKenzie invented!

can you explain to me how it gets into the switch mechanism?
Can't explain exactly as I seldom/never see it happen in real time.
But have you never experienced this or do you just throw them away because they don't work, ever tried cleaning them up?
It's amazing what the the removal of such obstructions can do, it's also amazing how such obstructions can find a way in! seldom see pull cord switches IP rated against the ingress of dust.
If the OP cares to send me the ones they have disconnected, I bet I can get them working. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back