Pump capacitor

oss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , my son asked me to have a look at his central heating , no hot water or heating, he could see the pilot light was lit but nothing seemed to be working, I had a spare pump so I took it with me, sure enough the pump was hot but not turning ,I could not get it to turn using the vent screw port so I swopped the pump, everything worked fine, I tried to turn the impeller with a screwdriver and it turned freely.
The next day I started thinking about about the pump as the old one I fitted less than 3 years ago and the system although open vented is clean with plenty of inhibitor in, and as I've paid for the pumps and as you know are not cheap, now here's my question how many of you check the capacitor before replacing the pump as I have never checked one and I suspect I could have saved myself £100 .

Sponsored Links
If impeller spins when prompted with a driver then capacitor has failed..
I don't bother changing capacitors unless on commercial in order to get the heat on until replacement can be fitted..(that's if an old pump is lying around in plant room)

• Thanks
Reactions: oss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back