Pump not pumping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am new to this so please excuse me if this subject has already been covered.

I have replaced a radiator with a heated towel rail. To do this, I drained down the heating system from the drain valve on one of the radiators. When I re-filled the system, bled the radiators and turned on the heating the I discovered that the pump is not pumping (although at one stage it sounded as though it was trying) and therefore the radiators are not working. The actual pump is hot so it has power, but the pipes feeding off it were not.The system is a standard boiler and header tank, i.e. not a combi boiler. The hot water is ok which proves that the boiler is ok so I'm not sure whether the pump has failed as it hasn't been on over the summer months, or whether I have some sort of blockage......

Can anyone suggest somethings that I can try?

Sponsored Links
Airlocked. try opening the pump screw or cracking the top pump nut and letting some water out......did you move the divertor valve to mid position?? If not manually move it over and retry

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I did bleed the pump by loosening the screw at the front . Some air did come out and then water appeared. I should have mentioned this - sorry.

I'm not sure what or where the divertor valve is ......?

Sponsored Links
Yep, it was seized. Replaced pump this evening and all is working fine. Thanks for the help and advice.

In 98% of cases you can spin the shaft and get it working again for the time being.

Sometimes they will stick again but in most cases a new pump is not required.

If you are a glutton for punishment, cleaning with citric acid will reclaim over 90% of pumps!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back