pump orientation

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised to move the pump from the return to the flow side of our boiler (after feed vent connections) to solve pump over issues at the F&E tank (and to meet manufacturers gudelines for our boiler).

Currently, the pump sits directly below the boiler and pumps water upwards from the pipework that runs beneath the floor up to the 'return' connection of the boiler.

In order to move it to the flow side of the boiler it will have to be installed upside down in order to pump the water downwards and away from the boiler.

The grundfos manual suggests that the pump should only be installed so that it pumps upwards but this is impractical in our house.

Is this a real issue for grundfos pumps. Have people seen issues when these pumps are used to pump 'downwards'?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
pumping downwards is acceptable provided an effective air vent is incorporated in the system, before the pump so yes it can point down( not preferable though)
also it might not be a simple case of moving the pump to the flow side of the boiler you will have to take into consideration where the feed and vent pipe are connected into the system, they will have to be before the pump

Hi, thanks for the advice. Once moved, the pump will sit directly between the vent and the bypass valve s oall should be well (just after the vent, just before the bypass).

So, all should be well.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the advice. Once moved, the pump will sit directly between the vent and the bypass valve s oall should be well (just after the vent, just before the bypass).

So, all should be well.

Cheers,

iep
make sure the cold feed is after the vent before the pump :)

Thanks guys.

Hi Idealboilers. Yes, still trying to get this job finished :LOL: Just want to make sure I don't destroy the pump when it goes in.

Feels like I have two jobs these days, my normal 9-5 and part time (albeit very slow) plumber at the weekends. Still, reckon we are getting close now.

Cheers,

iep

How does that post by Joe benefit anyone?

Is he a refugee from Screwfix or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back