Pump Overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We recently moved into a new build house with a Logic Heat system boiler and I've just been reading through the various manuals for it to familiarise myself with these things and have noticed something that says that the central heating pump must be connected directly to the boiler or it will void any warranty.

I assume this is so the boiler can control an overrun after it has been heating.

However, on investigating of the wiring centre in our cylinder cupboard (where the pump/valves are too) the pump is connected through a PCB and only switched on when the boiler is on and immediately stopped when the valves close. I've attached a picture just in case it's useful. The pump is connected to the bottom left connectors and the boiler is the top right under the yellow plug.

I rather need to know whether I need to raise this with the building company or not. Is it problem for the boiler not to be able to overrun the pump? Will it do any lasting damage?

Any thoughts would be very welcome :)

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 374
Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be poking around in a new build system like that!!
If there's no problem, what you trying to fix??

That boiler uses the integral fan to cool the heat engine in the boiler, so no pump-over run required.

Thanks Richard.

I've just installed a couple of Nest thermostats which is why I've been "poking" around in the wiring centre (to replace the existing room stat connections).

General curiosity about how these things worked is what triggered my enquiry about the pump overrun. I thought it was best to ask and I certainly don't plan to poke around inside the boiler for answers!

Thanks Richard.

I've just installed a couple of Nest thermostats which is why I've been "poking" around in the wiring centre (to replace the existing room stat connections).

General curiosity about how these things worked is what triggered my enquiry about the pump overrun. I thought it was best to ask and I certainly don't plan to poke around inside the boiler for answers!

Eh, chances are you've just buggered up your Central Heating warranty if you've altered the controls on a New Build. Unless you've had permission from the Builder & the Plumbing/Heating subbie??

Sponsored Links
Eh, chances are you've just buggered up your Central Heating warranty if you've altered the controls on a New Build. Unless you've had permission from the Builder & the Plumbing/Heating subbie??

It's pretty common to install things like Nest & Hive to replace existing thermostats & programmers - certainly not un-common on our new estate. If anything, their exposure under a warranty is lessened because faults with room stats and the programmer aren't going to be their problem at all.

No your miss the point mate. They'll walk away from ALL central heating issues. Two wrongs don't make a right!!

I decided to look myself at the installation instructions and could not see anything that said that!

So where do you think you saw it?

I decided to look myself at the installation instructions and could not see anything that said that!

What, were you looking at the conditions of purchase Tony??

It's on page 9 in the document below but I've just seen the URL while posting it here and it's an old version of the manual. I've now found a newer version of this document (which relates to my actual boiler) doesn't show the pump as being connected directly to the boiler so as PullerGas mentioned, it is not required.

http://idealboilers.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/01/Logic-Heat-Installation-Manual.pdf

It's on page 9 in the document below but I've just seen the URL while posting it here and it's an old version of the manual. I've now found a newer version of this document (which relates to my actual boiler) doesn't show the pump as being connected directly to the boiler so as PullerGas mentioned, it is not required.

http://idealboilers.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/01/Logic-Heat-Installation-Manual.pdf

Try the rest then try the best!!!

I think I'd be checking your Builders' Manuals & see what they're saying about you fitting these Mickey Mouse controls fella!!

I think I'd be checking your Builders' Manuals & see what they're saying about you fitting these Mickey Mouse controls fella!!

Do I detect you're not a fan of these new stats like Nest & Hive? :rolleyes:

Do I detect you're not a fan of these new stats like Nest & Hive? :rolleyes:

Fitted & wired loads, most are mince. Most try to impress with the sales ****, but they're all just simple On/Off controls. The Trade left On/Off controls in the 90s, we're onto the 1s & 0s now.

That is certainly correct - they are essentially a couple of switches but then again so is a programmer & a thermostat. The main benefit I gain from having Nest is being able to configure the schedule easily from my phone and make minor adjustments when needed.

That is certainly correct - they are essentially a couple of switches but then again so is a programmer & a thermostat. The main benefit I gain from having Nest is being able to configure the schedule easily from my phone and make minor adjustments when needed.

As a benefit for comfort or economy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back