Pump runs continuously

Looking at the pic and those particular valves I'll go with my first thoughts about the switch sticking.
Nothing to do with a domestic pump at all.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pic and those particular valves I'll go with my first thoughts about the switch sticking.
Nothing to do with a domestic pump at all.

Ok 45yearsagasman , would you be able to explain which connections i might be able to carry out a test on when this occurs again on the valves, would you think it is the hot water loop valve as that is the program we had selected on the programmer. thanks.

When it happens again and the pump stays on, check the orange wire from the valve is de-energised when the programmer is set for OFF.
The orange wire feeds the boiler and pump if your system is wired correctly.
If it is still live then the microswitch in the valve is the most likely culprit.
Depending on your valves age it may be possible to change just the head.
Be careful as some live testing may be required. If in any doubt call in a heating repair man.

When it happens again and the pump stays on, check the orange wire from the valve is de-energised when the programmer is set for OFF.
The orange wire feeds the boiler and pump if your system is wired correctly.
If it is still live then the microswitch in the valve is the most likely culprit.
Depending on your valves age it may be possible to change just the head.
Be careful as some live testing may be required. If in any doubt call in a heating repair man.

Thanks very much, i will wait for the next time and test the orange wire as described. Does this need doing on both valves?

Sponsored Links
Right so you only have one pump and that is for the boiler system.

If that continues to run when not expected and the boiler is not firing then its usually because there is not sufficient difference between the cylinder thermostat and the boiler flow temperature as set on the boiler thermostat.

The cylinder should be set at 55-60 C and the boiler to at least 10 c above the cylinder stat temp!

Tony

Whilst you may well be right, I dont see anywhere where he has specifically said that.

OP, what 45 is suggesting is that the HW motor valve is sticking on. Whilst that could be a faulty switch its more often the valve is failing to return under the pressure of its internal spring.

Can you feel the lever so that you become accustomed to telling if its open or closed?

Then if it shows the fault again you can go to the valve and see if its actually stayed open.

Tony

Whilst you may well be right, I dont see anywhere where he has specifically said that.

OP, what 45 is suggesting is that the HW motor valve is sticking on. Whilst that could be a faulty switch its more often the valve is failing to return under the pressure of its internal spring.

Can you feel the lever so that you become accustomed to telling if its open or closed?

Then if it shows the fault again you can go to the valve and see if its actually stayed open.

Tony

thanks for all those posts, i will do some testing whilst all is OK with the programmer calling for heat and without calling for heat, this way i should know what is unusual when the fault occurs. i will also try to monitor the valves and see if they are opening and closing properly. I have found a wiring diagram on the warm flow web site that shows my boiler with 2 valves which i am hoping is what I have here!! I will use this to help me. I will also check the settings on both my tank and boiler. thanks again.

The levers on those valves are very fiddly and often broken before you even touch them!

Probably better to just look at the indicator on the sides and hope that it is correctly showing the valve position.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back