Punto sump pan gasket

Sponsored Links
Degrease all surfaces, apply silicon, I've used the ordinary from screwfix before, to the outer edge of the sump and around the securing holes. Attached the sump whilst still wet and tighten the bolts up. the silicon spreads and forms its own gasket. Do not let the silicon get into blind boltholes especially if it then sets driving home the bolt can cause castings to crack under the compression effect on the silicon. I would also put a dab under each bolt head so that has its own mini gasket as well. Never had a sump or water pump leak yet.

Sponsored Links
Would you expect an engine sump pan to get hotter then 200 degrees C ?
Most sealants seem to state sustained temps of 250C and short duration 300C +.

the one I mentioned above, IE,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121580127065

is quoted as being suitable for crankcases so should work fine ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Your sump pan will reach a temperature of around 130 deg C - the temperature of the oil at its hottest......that doesn't include air cooling of the sump, of course or the action of the oil cooler.
John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Will this do for applying the sealant ? ........ I'll leave to set for 24 hours before I bolt it on !

Last edited by a moderator:
Job done !

Lower bell housing plate removed for access to rear sump bolts.

Crank pulley removed to make it easier to clean engine block mating lip for sump.

Exhaust manifold loosened off so down pipe could be lowered to allow sump to drop off (with a bit of a struggle breaking old sealant).

Only hardship was running the gauntlet with the pour downs we're getting in the north east at present.

Sponsored Links
Back