push button cistern, losing water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please help. My push button cistern tank is losing water. When I press it, it flushes properly, and refills, but then over about 10mins it loses water, to being almost empty. I think that it is going into the actual toilet, as I can see the water rippling. Not sure what needs to be done. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check the seal on the discharge valve (the bit that you lift up to let the water into the pan) - sounds like it's leaking water into the pan.

It should create a seal when it sits into the bottom of the cistern.

How do I check it? When I flush the toilet, and hold up the ball, it empties, but there is still some water at bottom of tank, making it hard to see whats going on. There are a few bits of black metal? floating around the bottom of tank. Could they get caught under the seal, stopping it from sealing properly? If so how do i get rid of them? Advice appreciated :)

You'll probably need to remove the valve to inspect the seal. If it was me I'd use a combination of brute force and bad language in that order.

As to how you get that water / metal out of there, towels / a magnet / wet hoover / tweezers / fingers / drinking straw etc

good luck! ;)

Sponsored Links
Already tried the bad language, but don't have any brute force :oops: . Will give it a go. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back