Push button cistern not filling quickly. Can I fix it myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After I flush my toilet it is not filling up properly. When I take the cistern lid off (I unscrew the push button out the top of the cistern first) there is a very small spray of water coming out the end part of the mechanism (I’ve attached a couple of photos but not sure how clear they are) and a small trickle of water. It does eventually fill up and stops when it has reached the correct level but this takes forever.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could fix this please.
Should I try to unscrew the end bit and give a good clean?
Is it possible to buy a new bit, if so what should I look to order?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
How old is it?

Has it always been slow, or got worse?

If you put your thumb over the spout of the cold-water tap in the basin, can you easily stop the flow?

Look at the incoming cold water pipe that feeds the cistern. Is there a service valve on it, probably operated with a screwdriver? If not, do you know where your stopcock is?

Stand back and take some wider pics please.

Hi

I would guess its approx 10 years old and it has been working perfectly until this morning when I heard the hissing.

The pressure out the basin tap is strong I wouldn't be able to stop it with a thumb.

There is an isolation valve on the in pipe into the toilet.

I'm at work now so can't get any more photos until tonight.

Thanks.

It has probably got sediment in it then. Turn off the valve, take it apart with care, rinse the parts, reassemble. A new one is not expensive but I can't make out from the pics what sort it is.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for your help. I will try that tonight and if it doesn't work I will post some photos to see if we can identify it better.

Email toilet spares with loads of photos and they will sell you a new washer/diaphragm for it

Looking at it i would guess its a siamp,

Thanks I will do. Do I just unscrew the big plastic but where the hissing water is coming out and replace the washer?

Just to maybe help people in the future who look at this post it does appear it was a Siamp diaphragm washer. Also, toilet spares as suggested in a previous post were very good at identifying it.

Just have to fit it now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back