push fit vs compression vs solder joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at options of moving a 15mm pipe location which runs hot water from the first floor to ground floor (sink).

I don't have any experience using solder apart from circuits boards and wanted to understand peoples experiences and recommendations of the choice of joints.

I understand the pressure of the pipe can sway the decision of the joint, however, in this situation its a normal domestic setup with a combi boiler and one bathroom.

I do live in a semi hard water area therefore not sure if this affects the seals of a pushfit. Has anybody had any experience of push fit (JW) leaking in normal operation?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Has anybody had any experience of push fit (JW) leaking in normal operation?

I've only seen push-fit fittings fail when they have been fitted incorrectly. Badly cut pipe/scored pipe/pipe insert missing/pipe not pushed fully home/pipe not locked (if appropriate).

If you've not soldered then domestic pipework at mains pressure may not be the best point for starting to learn :), compression fittings aren't a good idea if the pipework is concealed so push-fit may well be the way to go if you're DIY'ing.

JG fittings are a good choice - make sure that you read and follow the instructions and have the right tools to do the job and you'll be fine.

Has anybody had any experience of push fit (JW) leaking in normal operation?

I've only seen push-fit fittings fail when they have been fitted incorrectly. Badly cut pipe/scored pipe/pipe insert missing/pipe not pushed fully home/pipe not locked (if appropriate).

If you've not soldered then domestic pipework at mains pressure may not be the best point for starting to learn :), compression fittings aren't a good idea if the pipework is concealed so push-fit may well be the way to go if you're DIY'ing.

JG fittings are a good choice - make sure that you read and follow the instructions and have the right tools to do the job and you'll be fine.

I have heard push-fits fail over time as hard water scale can build up around the seal over time causing a leak, any thoughts?

I have heard push-fits fail over time as hard water scale can build up around the seal over time causing a leak, any thoughts?

I've not had that issue. Will the fittings be accessible once you are finished?

Sponsored Links

I've not had that issue. Will the fittings be accessible once you are finished?

One fitting will be under the bath which can be access be removing the side panel. The other fitting will be behind the gas meter (picture attached). I would like to move the pipe in the corner of the wall.

I'm concerned of the fitting leaking and then ruining the new fresh plaster on the ceiling.

Attachments

• File_000 (3).jpeg
    File_000 (3).jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 756
Thanks,

Can I also use the JW push-fit to connect plastic to copper and copper to copper?

Any concerns of the hard water?

That does me fine. :)

I'm looking to install a shower would like to hide the pipes behind the titles. Would you recommend using plastic pipes with pushing fitting?

Is John West the recommended manufacture, price is not a concern, within reason.

The pipe is ok particularly as you can have long runs with no joins but I'd be wary if the fittings will be tiled in with no future access.

The advantage a compression or push fit pipe has over soldered is that there is no need to get the pipework completely dry. Push fit is also a bit more flexible to the need to bend without investing in a pipe bender. with a compression fitting you should use a portable (suitable for drinking water) jointing compound to improve the seal. Soldered copper pipes are more rigid, so can require less clips to hold in place. Also copper pipes (depending on the rest of your pipes) might need to be bonded to an earth wire also. All in all - I reckon push fit is probably going to be easier for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back