Putting a narrow boat in your garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a narrow boat project for sale I would like to work on. Do you need permission to crane lift it over your house and put it in your back garden, on suitable blocks? Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about planning permission?

It applies to some large outbuildings and caravans, and there might be a local rule about boats in the garden. You will have to ask your local council.

Remember to quote it as a temporary thing too.
Whilst you repair it etc & consider how long it may take & let them know.

That way they may just tell you it's OK.

Sponsored Links
Any telephone wires flying over the garden? BT Openreach will charge you for a temporary disconnect and reconnect (and quite a lot more if they're other customers' lines)

Sometimes craning boats can have unhappy results if they slip in the slings or snap.

if you could find a trailer big enough, you could park it in the road instead.. Then it would only need to remain connected to a taxed vehicle :)

Thanks for all the replies. It would probably be quite a long term project. Phone lines etc. are an issue too. I will contact the local council and see what they have to say. Cheers - :D

I'm not so sure I'd want to live next door - will you be digging a canal to get it in too? lol

Your saying long term but really you mean "short term" ;)

You will also get complaints from neighbours expressing concerns about the inevitable excavations - for provision of a lock and other connections to the canal network.

When a friend applied to erect an old railway signal box in his garden, neighbours objected because of the noise from trains and switch points. I kid you not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back