putting a stop in a gas pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

appreciate the help please

I'm renovating a house i just bought and was knocking down a wall in my living room when a few brick came down on the elbow joint that supplied the gas fire. I've turn the gas off as its not need at present :)

When the new gas fire goes in i will be having it fitted professionally but need to seal up the pipe for now so i can at least use the cooker to cook lunch when im not renovating.

Basically it and the copper pipe that lead to the fire got damaged so i have removed the elbow and want to screw in and seal the black pipe that the elbow went into.

The small pipe that came out the elbow and went to the fire looks like 8mm i think but the black pipe the elbow went into via a reducing type joint at the floorboards is larger with an internal diameter that looks like half inch

What sizes do these pipes come in and how do you measure black gas pipe size.

Thank you .

Sponsored Links
To screw a stop into a threaded joint. :rolleyes:

I just dont want to buy different size stops to see what fits and would prefer to keep my purchase down to 1 single item

To screw a stop into a threaded joint. :rolleyes:

I just dont want to buy different size stops to see what fits and would prefer to keep my purchase down to 1 single item

yup i think i would want to keep my roof over my head

feel free to try it yourself

there is more to it than you understand
i'm sure some half soaked pratt will tell you how

so carry on

Sponsored Links
But its easy enough to check to test to see if gas is getting pass the thread and jointing compound. If i didnt feel totally competant i wouldnt do it.

Its a simple screwed in seal / blanking cap into a already threaded pipe i wish to do ,not plumb in a central heating system.

not plumb in a central heating system.

yes but least that will only flood the place if it leaks not explode if not noticed

see if your like an early alarm call in the morning
scratch-head02-idea-animated-animat.gif

imagesCAEYG0BA.jpg

Dont worry you cant help , so i will take it apart and go down the local plumbers to get the stop.

Whether or not you attempt it yourself, you may then wonder if there happen to be any gas leaks anywhere else in the house, how you would detect them, and will they ask who was the last person to work on any part of the gas?

The main issue is that if you even consider asking on this forum, that is a clue as to your confidence and possibly competence...

I honestly thank you for your concern , but what is so hard about screwing in a plug at the end of a pipe and checking to see if its leaking.

If i were running new pipe then i could understand, however I'm not.

Some jobs yes should be left to the professionals ,however others can be quite easily tackled by someone with a bit of common sense without a gas safe cert.

This reminds me of the gas man who came to my previous house to move the gas meter and said he was going to report me for connecting and disconnecting the bayonet fitting from the socket behind my cooker as it was illegal for me to touch. He didn't even know the law and he worked for British gas.

For the last poster.

The gas was on and working prior to me damaging the restrictor elbow. I have turned it off until i plug the pipe the restrictor was connected to.

The reasaon i'm asking is because i've never bought gas black pipe fittings, it dosent mean i have no common sense or have no experience with working with other types of pipe.

I actually plumbed/ fitted my own new boiler and rads once then left the commisioning and gas connections to a corgi registered gas fitter so i'm not someone without a bit of common

I actually plumbed/ fitted my own new boiler and rads once then left the commisioning and gas connections to a corgi registered gas fitter so i'm not someone without a bit of common

well you just answered yer own freakin question then :idea:

Tell him lads, he's knocking down walls already, might save him time and effort, in the long run. ;)

Isn't it true that any competent person can work on their own gas? If he's competent then he can use a solder end cap can't he? If he does it right then that's proof of competence isn't it?

Joe-90 Yes you are right about being competent and proving it but the forum rules stop Diy gas advice.It does sound like a very simple job but the OP cannot ID simple pipe sizes and I learnt that on my 1st day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back