Putting up a fence!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!!!!!

I Havent got a clue.......

First of all here are the measurement of my garden.

2 sides each measure 36 feet in length.

Back fence measures 39feet in length.

I want to put a fence up. Which is the best and cheapest, (weather proof wise, easiest and cheapest).... Is the panel fenceing the right one, or are the 6inch plank ones the best??????

And how much would I be expected to pay someone to erect a fence of this size??????

And how much would all the materials cost???? I am looking at a 6 foot fence.

And are metpost just as good as concrete when it comes to putting the post in...

And what chance do you reckon someone has of putting up a fence like this, if I have never done one before????

Probably silly questions to some of you lot......... but if you don`t ask!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks

---------------------------------------------
lynda, moderator, please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
poolietim said:
Which is the best and cheapest

Best is reinforced concrete posts, set in concrete, with concrete gravel boards, and close-boarded infill.

Cheapest is 3-inch timber posts that will go rotten and snap off, with thin woven panels that will break.

poolietim said:
And how much would I be expected to pay someone to erect a fence of this size??????

Thousands. So you might as well have it done properly.

poolietim said:
And how much would all the materials cost???? I am looking at a 6 foot fence.

Dunno. Look at some prices in the sheds.

poolietim said:
And are metpost just as good as concrete when it comes to putting the post in...

No.

poolietim said:
And what chance do you reckon someone has of putting up a fence like this, if I have never done one before????

None of us have done anything before, until the first time. Once you've done the first one, and found that digging a hole is hard work, the others are just a dozen more of the same. You will find that concrete posts and gravel boards are rather heavy to hump about on your own. I like to paint the posts and boards to match the wood stain before erecting. Try to make the hole fairly narrow, especially along the length of the fence (they never blow over lengthways) because you will have to mix concrete to fill it. You can hire a narrow trenching spade, or a post-hole borer (I've never used either).

poolietim said:
Many thanks

You're welcome.

met posts are a good idea, they are simple, easy and cheap.

how ever , they dont last long, prone to split after a year or so, and look naff, (i know i put some up)

we have since paid to have concrete posts and gravel boards with (rolf) arris rails, looks much better, and i painted the concrete what i thought was the same colour as the fence, but it was darker, still looks good though.

over all its a better job all round and as has been said concrete doesnt snap like met posts will.

met post is good for a quick lash up, not much else

me and my dad put up a fence a few years ago. We used 7 foot posts, 12 foot by 6 inch rails. We used this between us and the neighbour we hardly ever speak to. The 12 foot rails help to space the posts at an even 6 foot and helps to keep it in a straight line. We used metposts, not had any problems so far, im sure we soon will though. This system is quick to erect and fairly cheap. And it looks very good in summer when you've got loads of climbing plants all over it, and a backdrop of next doors overgrown garden :LOL: its just over 6 foot high, the posts go into the ground a bit.

Sponsored Links
I just need to put up a temporary fence and I'm using the metposts, but these are going into tarmac. Is it OK to use ordinary screws with plugs or do I need the RawlBolts, and if I do, how do I use them??

Do I drill the holes and drop then end in and screw the bolts in?

Sorry for such an obvious question but I'm a bit useless at DIY as you might have guessed!!!

Botchjob:

(1) you need to start a new post - this is not the same question.

(2) Bolts or screws will pull out of tarmac - it is not a hard strong solid material like concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back