Putting up a new garden fence above ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'm after some advice.

When the weather improves I'll be erecting a new rear garden fence (concrete posts, shiplap, trellising, orchard gate). The existing one we inherited on our new house is quite literally flapping in the wind!

All things being level I think i'd be OK, but the garden leads out onto a back alley that gives us communal access to the adjoining field and that alley is probably about 6 inches lower than the back of my garden at present.

From back door the garden does slope slightly down so I will be looking to level this off properly with the new fenceline down the side of the garden and then lay some aggregate on top of the soil. This would probably leave the height difference between the alley and my rear garden in the region of 12-15"

Is it acceptable to get longer concrete posts for this back length of fence and double up on gravel boards? Or am I in the region for needing some sort of retaining wall to hold the gravel in?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
if you can get them the longer posts would be fine. Problem with concrete posts is that the longer they get the larger they become. You will struggle to get slotted ones above 8ft as they become very prone to breaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back