Putting up some fencing....stuck....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm shortly going to be replacing some old fencing with the Wickes fence panels and gate....but I've got a bit stuck in the planning...
Here's what I'm thinking, in order from left to right:
75x75mm post, 6x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm fence post, 3x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm post, 100x100mm post, 3x6ft gate, 100x100mm post, 75x75mm post, 3x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm post.
I would also like to put 2ft trellis up on the fence panels between posts and have read that i also need to put 150mm gravelboard under the fencepanels.

1) Does this set-up/order sound ok?
2) Are the 100x100mm posts attached to the 75x75mm posts really needed to hold the gate?
3)Are gravelboards really needed & if I put in gravelboards, what do I do about the gate because the tops will then be out of line by the 150mm height of the gravelboard??

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
75x75mm post, 6x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm fence post, 3x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm post, 100x100mm post, 3x6ft gate, 100x100mm post, 75x75mm post, 3x6ft fencepanel, 75x75mm post.

1) Does this set-up/order sound ok?
:confused:

It's confused the pants off of me if I'm honest.

Also if you are going to use gravel bords flush with the ground, strip an inch off the fence posts. The gate will sit between two posts so the height wil be the same as the fence pannels.

er... whats all this 75mm posts stuff then 6 foot panels?

You'd do better planing it all using the same measurement system :D

Use 8 foot by 4 inch square posts... lol

Have you thought about feather/close boarding it all?

Hi Pinnacle,

What I've described is the order of what i intend put up:

post, fence panel, post, fence panel, post, gate post, gate gate post, post, fence panel, post....

does that clear it up at all?

regarding the gravelboards, they are 150mm high. the fence panels are 6ft and the trellis is 2 ft. that is much higher than the gate which is only 6 ft high. i will run trellis along the top but there will still be a 150mm shortfall....do you know what i mean? how do i overcome this shortfall?

thanks,
pete

Sponsored Links
Pete,

I personally would use 100 x 100mm posts all the way along. They'll last longer, and that way you don't have to double up the posts at the point you hang the gate.

Post, panel, post, panel, post, gate, post, panel etc.

That's also going to be a pretty high fence (gravel board + panel + trellis) = 8 1/2 ft, so you're going to want 10ft posts at the minimum, and I thought there was a 2m limit on garden fences before you needed planning permission.

3x6 fence panels are 3 foot high, 6 foot wide aren't they?, you're not supposed to mount them sideways.. ( you want a 3foot wide panel, 6 foot high next to the 3 foot wide gate, making a 6 foot gap from what I read? )

You can remove some of the framing battens from a 6' by 6' panel and make them narrower, and refix the battens in place either before or after trimming the panel down with a saw - this will ensure the waney boards are all horizontal rather than fix a panel vertically. Wouldn't really bother with doubling up a 75mm with a 100mm timber - this is overkill.

Regarding your concern about gravel boards, as with above, you can reposition framing battens and resize the gate accordingly, possible by using gravel board instead of bottom runner of gate. Simple enough really.

hello all,
thanks for your replies, i can see that i'm not making myself very clear....sorry about that....
hopefully this will explain it better.
taking into account what some have kindly suggested, what i plan to put up is this:

a post, not sure of the height but 100mm width by 100mm depth
then attached to that
a fence panel that's 6 ft high by 6 ft wide
- under this will be a gravelboard that is 150mm high.
then another post the same dimensions
then another fence panel 6 ft high but 3 ft wide - another gravel board under that...
another similar post with a gate attached - the gate is 6 ft high by 3 ft wide.
lastly another similar post followed by a fence panel 6 ft high and 3 ft wide with gravel board, and a post to finish.

so, what i'd like to know is, the gravel boards raise the fence panels by 150mm, so the gate will be 150mm shorter than the fence now - how does one usually overcome this?

Thanks again,
Pete

hi the gravel boards on the bottom of a fence are usually used 2 level things up say if one side is 3inches higher than the other it just prevents the soil from cumming into contact with the fence bottom so the gravel board rots not the fence panel so if your site is level you don't need the gravel board i will look some more up 4 you

you will need five posts 100mm times 100mm times 3m length/ two 1.8m times 1.8m fence panels and your gate and your trellis and 5 bags of postcrete were iis the fence going

To be honest Pete I'm not sure you can make the gate the same height as the panel plus gravel board without some carpentry on the gate.

Can the gate not sit level with the top of the panel with a gap underneath, or level with the ground with a step at the top?

it will look funny with just 1 6x6 panel, why not make it 2 6x3 panels then it will all match?

what you want is some nice feather edge / close board fencing.. made to measure..
closeboard-feather-edge-fencing-2.jpg

you'll be doing carpentry to get 3foot wide x 6foot high panels anyway..

thanks again everyone.
taking all this in to account, i think i'll shorten the height of the gravel boards a bit and sink them into the ground so they only show for about 2 inches. i'll carry this 2 inch raise over to the gate so it has a bit of extra clearance above the ground, thus all the tops of the panels and gate line up at the same level....i can then run trellis across the whole way i think.

do those 'post spikes' from wickes do the job well enough to hold up the posts or should i definitely dig a hole and pour postcrete for each post?

Cheers,
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back