PVA on walls prior to painting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before reading NOT to PVA freshly plastered walls prior to painting this is what i have done.... I have used a 5:1 mix of waterproof PVA, should i remove it before painting and how do i remove it.

Sponsored Links
you could try the method I use to remove traces of wallpaper paste before painting:

brush or spray generously with hot water (a drop of washing-up liquid helps) to wet and soften the material

then a broad metal scraper to scrape off the wet slime, wipe the knife frequently on a rag to remove the build-up

after a while you will be able to see the difference between clean and slimy plaster.

The trouble with trying to scrub it off is that it soaks back into the wall.

Sponsored Links
Go over it with zinsser water based primer/sealer. Cost about £40 for a 10x10 foot room. I did my bedroom because of powdery plaster :idea: It`ll stick to and solve pretty much any problem surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back