PVC window not sealing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone would know what we can do about our front window? They're standard looking pvc windows with one panel that opens out on the right. There's a gap between that window that opens and the vertical bar at the end of the main pane. It's actually hard to see in the attached pic, but it looks to me like the vertical is straight, and the window that opens bows slightly in the middle meaning the seals don't meet. Tried to draw a few lines to illustrate on the second image. Red arrows indicate where the gap is around the middle of the seal (can feel it pretty easily).

Is there any way to put bigger seals on or something other than replace part of the window or what could we do about this? Guessing we're losing a lot of heat through this gap.

Many thanks,

Baps.

Attachments

• IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMAG01602.jpg
    IMAG01602.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 293
Sponsored Links
Thanks Jadele. Is this a replacement for the seal around the window that opens? How would I tell which type fits?

Baps.

Ebay do gasket sample packs for 99p each
1st you need to check that your gasket comes out (some are co-extruded with the PVC frame but your look fairly old so probably not)
Pull a bit out where it joins so you can see the cross section head on and take a photo to show us.

There are lots of different types (bubble, Flipper, F type etc) and hundreds of sizes once you know that it comes out easily and what type it is you can get a sample pack of different sizes to try.

Here are a few of the sample packs available
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bubble-Ga...683565?hash=item27c8fc02ed:g:8I4AAOxyU~VRyGU0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUBBLE-FL...059327?hash=item35ba4fcf7f:g:NgQAAOxy2CZTZTSV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flipper-G...070631?hash=item19d5423de7:g:qzYAAOxyVX1RyKfp

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks Gazman16. Do you mean try pulling it out of the window or the seal on the vertical part of the main window frame? I'm assuming it doesn't matter if they're both the same type, but I'm as much wondering which I'm replacing, or am I replacing both?

Edit: does this help? End must be at the top of the window or something, these are just continuous around the window. The seal on the main frame is the same type by the looks of it.

Baps.

Attachments

• IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Found an end; pic attached.

What it looks like is the seal is fine at the top and bottom, just the sides where the window is bowed it is no longer long enough to touch the frame. So I wouldn't imagine replacing the seal with an identical one would help?

Baps

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 189
Hard to tell from that pic but looks like a bubble gasket (even if its not bubble gasket would probably do the job).

Your old ones will have shrunk, Compressed and worn away a bit so when new they would have been a fraction bigger.

Look on ebay for a sample pack that is closest size and type to yours (but also with larger ones) buy it and see which one fits best.
The sample pack will have codes on it, Search ebay again for that code and buy however many meters you need.

Just do 1 window sash for now to see if it improves things. If it dosent you have only spent a couple of £ to find out.

IMG_0008.PNG IMG_0007.PNG You can also try fitting a sash locator wedge to the frame and sash which can help gain a little more compression.

Thanks guys, ordered a sample pack, I'll probably be back with stupid questions but appreciate the input!

Baps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back