Qarquet: sanding, filling and finishing... discuss :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just laid a reclaimed maple parquet/wood block floor and I'm in the process of sourcing filler and finish.
After reading a lot my preference would be to go for Lecol 7500 and Blanchon hardwax oil. However I'm struggling to get hold of both locally in Bristol (in time for hiring the sanders early next week). My alternative finish is Fiddes hardwax oil and Fiddes wood filler gel. Does anyone have any experience using this 'gel' (is that just another way of saying solvent based).

The floor (a hallway) is only 6-7sq.m so I'm assuming I'll only need one litre of each, perhaps two of the filler to be on the safe side?

One last thing... when belt sanding I understand you should stay 45degrees to the grain and each pass should be at 90 degrees to each other. My hallway is narrow (about 0.8-1m) in some areas so it may be difficult to run the sander width ways in these sections. What's the advice here? use the edge sander? [note: I've been advised a trio is too big for this job]

Your advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back