Qashqai side hit - does this B Pillar need replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks

I was involved in an accident recently when I was hit in the side, relatively slow moving maybe 15-20mph. Seemed to me to be badly dented front drivers door and minimally dented rear passenger door, with a bit of a dent to the pillar/sill. The insurer has insisted on me going to an approved repairer and if I dont I need to pay an extra £200 on top of my £150 excess. The approved repairer has said the B pillar needs to be cut out and a new one cut to size and put in, with 2 new doors.

The pillar or the pillar surround seems to have moved slightly as the doors dont line up however its not bad enough that they dont close so it seems minimal. I took the car to a local bodyshop who advised me 1 new door, repair the other door and they would pull the pillar into place fill and paint.

Do you think this damage needs a new pillar put in place? I've attached images as best I can.

Sponsored Links
Very difficult for us to say on this one Mav.....personally I'm not too keen on B pillars being pulled back into place as there can be after affects on the floor, but it's also true that some body shops see things like this as an open cheque book.
If the Nissan is newish, I'd go for a repair recommended by the dealer who will have their own facilities and warranties on rust and paint won't be affected.
I'd say the front door needs a new one, the rear may just need a skin.
As presumably it's just your excess that will take a beating, is it worth trying to save cash, or are you sponsoring the repair out of your own pocket?
John :)

Hey John, thanks for the reply.

It's just the excess that's on me. It just means being without a car for over 2 weeks rather than 3 days! Which with 2 kids is problematic. The cutting out of the pillar seemed excessive given the minimal damage and I wondered with such a big job whether it would be noticeable when I go to sell. If it's not noticeable and the replacing of the pillar is a better safer option then I'll get them to do it. You seem to suggest that erring on the side if caution by replacing is probably the best bet?

Putting me on the spot a bit, Mav :p
That's more than a 3 day repair really, in my opinion......I agree the damage looks minimal and if I was paying for the repair myself then I'd go for the pull out - although there will be signs to a trained eye afterwards.
At the end of the day I'm sure the car would be safe and strong so I guess that's the important bit!
Is there no courtesy car option here? If not by the insurer, the bodyshop may have a couple.
If your car is less than 3 years old, I'm sure Nissan could fix you up if they are doing the work......if it was mine, I'd want an approved repairer, I think.

Sponsored Links
You was hit in the side so presumably not your fault.

If this is the case then you have a legitimate claim against the other party for a suitable, to you, replacement vehicle to be supplied and paid for by that party.

Thanks again for the responses. I really dont want to put you on the spot. Just your opinion is enough for me!

The car is 2011 so not that old. If the B pillar is cut out and replaced will there be significantly noticeable signs of repair? If not then I am thinking the 2 weeks of pain may be worth it as opposed to the pull out option which will be noticeable. Particularly seeing as I'm only paying £150.

I dont get a courtesy car from Aviva but their approved repairer is Nationwide who also wont give me a courtesy car (despite a fleet of 74 in my area) but will delightfully offer me the chance to hire a car for 10% less than their usual price of £14.40 per day! Wonderful.

The accident was probably a bit of both drivers fault, in fact probably more mine and I admit that.

Thanks again guys!

I was involved in an accident recently when I was hit in the side

The insurer has insisted on me going to an approved repairer and if I dont I need to pay an extra £200 on top of my £150 excess

If you were hit on the side then I assume the accident wasn't your fault. If you are not at fault then the person who hit you's insurance will be footing the bill, incuding repaying your excess. They can't demand that you take your car to anywhere that they choose, and you are free to have it repaired anywhere you like, including the original manufacturer/main dealer. You are also entitled to a COMPARABLE courtesy car while all this is going on, and for the costs of having it delivered and collected if necessary. If you want to get really anal you can also charge them for any out of pocket expenses you have - like phone calls and extra fuel used etc. The down side of this is that you might need to pay some (or all) of it yourself and claim it back, which might take a year or more.

Put it this way... You had a perfectly useable car. It's not your fault that it's not useable any more. The person who hit you is insured for this type of event. It's up to THEM to supply you a perfectly useable car until such time that you get yours back. And if you want your car fixed by the people who originally built it (perhaps for future warranty claims on repairs etc) then you have every right. Your loss of excess is also a cost to them.

Obviously if the accident was partly or fully your fault then you can't be quite so heavy handed.

I would guarantee that if the repairer is approved, there would be no visible sign at all......they are as good as that.
If you go elsewhere the repair will cost you an extra £200, you say - I guess that will go some way towards a rental vehicle.
It also shows that Aviva give you the minimum in return for your business, just like all the others .......bloody sharks they are.
Sorry to hear about your distress.....hope it gets sorted quick.

By approved I mean approved by Aviva, not quite so good I reckon! Although it will have to be done to a satisfactory standard as they guarantee all repairs for life now. Bloody annoying though seeing as I was planning on changing car in a couple of months.

Cheers for all the responses much appreciated. I agree that I need to move from Aviva! Although that will be more difficult now I've just had an accident.

thanks again.

If you were hit on the side then I assume the accident wasn't your fault.

That's a bizarre bit of logic!

Most side impacts occur when the driver pulls out of a side road into moving traffic

I've finally got agreement on the repair and its booked in for 02/03/2015 (the date was agreed by the insurer on 26/01/2015, no idea why its so far in advance)

Just noticed that my MOT is due very shortly and wondered whether anyone would be able to give me an idea of whether this sort of damage would result in an MOT fail?

The door looks like it's bottom edge could prove a bit of a hazard...... I guess it depends on whether the tester is having a good day!
He could well pass it, knowing the repair is imminent.

Seeing as both doors are going to be replaced when its being repaired do you reckon it would be worth going at anything that remotely resembles a sharp edge with a hammer or sander?

Sponsored Links
Back