Quality Double Glazing the cheap way ! Any advice please

You are a very rare person indeed the majority of the bill payers dont support the ever rising cost of utility bills especially when you look at the end of year profits they are making.
Urrm? I didnt say I supported the rising cost anywhere did I?

Nothing lasts for ever, but my parents house has generic woodern windows, install as the standard fit in 88ish. One pain in the front (southfacing) when last year gone, and having let the painting slip a little it was decided to change the four front facing windows, but the rest are going as strong as any other, and the old windows have been reused in our neighbours garage.

As said, upvc works as well, but looks like upvc, which if I had a period house I wouldnt be happy with and would happily commit to the maintainace required, which lets face it, can well be covered with a a hundred quid a year t go towards years getting someone to paint them every 5 years, if you dont want to do it yourself. Both ways have there pros and cons, but for someone in your position to state that 'woodern windows dont work, you must have upvc' incorrect and misleading.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
You are a very rare person indeed the majority of the bill payers dont support the ever rising cost of utility bills especially when you look at the end of year profits they are making.
Urrm? I didnt say I supported the rising cost anywhere did I?

I think you might have .... I fully support that current fuel prices, and the expectation of future fuel prices,

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/window...p-way-any-advice-please.363870/#ixzz2SbIzhGGo

I fully support that current fuel prices, and the expectation of future fuel prices.....
I fully support that current fuel prices, and the expectation of future fuel prices, mean that in the long term it often makes financial sense to make home improvements in decrease heat loss, and that drafty single glazed windows can be a significant source of heat loss.
Aka, I agree that with rising costs, investment in reducing losses may pay off. No where does that say I support the rising costs.

Daniel

It reads far more clearly now you refer to it in that way your 1st posting was a little vague in the way it was started or maybee i missread, i undersatnd now thanks for your clarity on this

Regards Simon

Sponsored Links
I am not sure why my post is being used as a medium for taking out frustration about upvc windows, I simply started the thread to get an idea of costs, if anyone feels they need to express their concerns about upvc windows, I suggest they create a seperate thread.

Diywindows, do you send out ready made windows or you fit as well. Secondly, do you have a guide on how to measure windows, need to make sure I give the right measurement.

Thanks in advance

Dont think this upvc replacement looks to bad.[/img]

By all accounts if you want windows without fitting ebay is as good as anywhere. There not hard to make, measure, or fit.

Assuming you have windows in there currently, its accepted practice to replace them with windows that are the same size as the current ones... aka, the right size to fit between the bricks...

...obviously if you have a company measure them and fit them, if there are complications they will resolve the issues and remake as required, where as if you do it yourself they will not. Too big and they wont fit in the hole, two small and they will look even more rediculas than normal.

Daniel

I am not sure why my post is being used as a medium for taking out frustration about upvc windows....
You are presumably new to the concept of free discussion, forums, and generally not always getting a straight and perfect answer to a question on the first time of asking?

I have the sizes of the windows that I need.

Height: 1920
Width = 930

This is simply using the sizes of the current window as shown in the attached picture.

See picture.
View media item 61303
I need someone competent to provide me a quote for supply only and supply & fit, job is based in South London. I also require 4 windows in total.[/img]

I though you said you had sash windows? Prehaps wrongly I assumed you where not using the dictionary meaning but refering to vertical sliding windows.

Daniel

Dont think this upvc replacement looks to bad.[/img]

We can only comment on whether it looks bad or not if we see what it replaced. If it's a period house that had nice design features on the original frames, casements etc then these cannot usually be replicated in UPVC hence you end up with that flat/clinical look.

The inside will look even worse as I presume the original frame detailing, architrave etc will be replaced by flat UPVC.

I'm getting quotes at the moment to have all my original single glazed timber windows converted into double glazed timber units that will match the originals.

It is not cheap but there is no way I'm ripping out all those beautiful timber windows to replace them with plastic.

Having them double glazed should mean better insulation and security, so the best of both worlds

My father inlaw had his bay window almost the same converted to double glassed it cost him £1400, and I asked him if he noticed a difference and he said yes.

That is the closest you will get to a timber window in uPVC, I did not say it was better than timber but it probaly is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back