Quartz/granite/marble work tops... DIY possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this site so apologies if my question is to in the wrong place. Years ago I made all our kitchen work tops from reclaimed floorboards biscuit-jointed together. These worked very well and looked good too...(nice routed edges etc).
However, they are now a bit tired and we are looking at granite etc tops. Here's the question...is it possible to buy the material and shape and edge it as a DIY job ? (obviously with the correct saw blades and router bits...assuming these are on the market!)
I've looked through existing threads and can't see this exact topic addressed anywhere ...sorry if I've missed it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could probably do it with slate. If you don't mind a 'rustic' finish. But granite? May be a bridge too far...

Thanks Gerrydelasel
Any thoughts on marble or Quartz? I believe these may be a bit softer?

Marble is soft, but not quartzite. No idea how easy it is to buy unfinished slabs (but I have seen slate for sale, for paving and snooker tables etc).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back