Query about first floor extension Side Elevation Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

RE: Query about first floor extension Side Elevation Windows

I’ve read that there are restrictions regarding first floor windows situated on a side elevation, such as obscured glass, or sill height minimum of 1.7m etc.

My question;

Is there any flexibility if the nearest property has no windows whatsoever on their side elevation facing my property and is some distance away?

If yes, any idea of the distance required?

Any other help regarding side elevation would be appreciated as our property is a chalet bungalow with Velux windows.

The property is long with windows at front and back, but the majority of rooms/windows run on either side elevations.

Before we contact an architect we would just like to know if our thoughts to convert upstairs to semi or full ceiling height would be worth doing.

The upstairs first floor has full living accommodation but most of the footprint is lost as the height of the walls finish at the top of the ground floor windows, so most of the space either side is just loft space, and the degree of the roof slope means only a small amount allows full head height.

Typical bungalow style.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Stephen

Sponsored Links
In planning terms, there are no 'restrictions' as such on side elevation windows. It's just that the development would not come under the umbrella of permitted development if your windows were clear-glazed and had conventional-style openers.

Your planning department could possibly agree to you having clear glass - you would need to discuss this with them as it would depend on the circumstances of your case.

Hi

RE: Query about first floor extension Side Elevation Windows

I’ve read that there are restrictions regarding first floor windows situated on a side elevation, such as obscured glass, or sill height minimum of 1.7m etc.

My question;

Is there any flexibility if the nearest property has no windows whatsoever on their side elevation facing my property and is some distance away?

If yes, any idea of the distance required?

It varies between councils and with the angles/heights of properties involved - in one parish I'm pursuing an application in at the moment, it's 14m to the side and 21m to the rear.. Particularly ludicrous when one looks at the density of the adjacent housing

Before we contact an architect we would just like to know if our thoughts to convert upstairs to semi or full ceiling height would be worth doing.
Only you will know in terms of the cost versus the value, but contacting an architect will be sure to add quite an amount to the cost. Consider an architectural technician instead

The upstairs first floor has full living accommodation but most of the footprint is lost as the height of the walls finish at the top of the ground floor windows, so most of the space either side is just loft space, and the degree of the roof slope means only a small amount allows full head height.
I'm not sure I this means the upstairs is already converted, nor am I certain what a typical bungalow is.. Is it a hipped roof or gabled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back