Question about lock washer used for securing fan blades??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Sorry if this question is unrelated for this forum but I have a question regarding fan blades secured onto the motor shaft using lock washer …

For a normal 10" air circulator fans the lock washer or any mechanism used to secure fan blade coupling onto the motor shaft are more simple than the bigger air circulator fans. (As in the bigger one will have threaded shaft with bolt nuts etc but the smaller ones will only have lock washer or something else that's simple).
Some have the self locking starlock washer placed on the half flat sided motor shaft (D shaped shaft) as shown on the picture I've attached and others have other mechanism for securing the fan blade over the motor shaft.

My question is how can the use of a circlip lock washer (e.g. e-clips, c-clips etc) that's placed on the motor shaft (behind the fan blade coupler) secure it from coming/sliding off of the motor shaft? I can't see how a lock washer placed behind the fan blade housing will keep it from coming off the motor shaft? as it doesn't grip onto the fan blade anyway.
Sorry if my question is vague but I don't know how to word it properly. I hope you get the gist of my question.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 546
Sponsored Links
These ghastly things grip the steel shaft with their splines.....being spring steel they push on and lock. Ideally they are used when the fan or whatever comes up against a stop or shoulder - or perhaps another lock washer. The fan will float to some degree, and the 'D' profile keeps it keyed in place. Presumably this is satisfactory for the manufacturer!
These locking devices are meant to be used only once, but if you can remove it without it splitting, it'll go back on once more.
John :)

Thanks guys! Yep they are pretty strong, I couldn't remove it without destruction though. But I guess you can just purchase these lock washers online and use them again.
One thing I want to know is, is it possible to use a lock washer (i.e. circlips; eclip) that's snapped onto the slot/groove of the motor shaft. And that lock washer placed behind (not in the front like in the photo I've attached). Would that alone keep the fan blade housing secured from slipping/coming off the motor shaft?
I know the cir clip lock washers doesn't grip onto the fan blade or anything so perhaps it's only friction that's keeping the fan blade from coming off the motor shaft?
I'm just curious if it would work or not :) Thank you!

Sponsored Links
These devices would certainly keep the fan from slipping off the shaft, but as you say, they won't help connecting the fan to the motor shaft.
Interference fits are all very well, but a small grub screw bearing onto the motor spindle helps greatly!

Thank you for the advice John :) I've attached a picture below of what I think a grub screw bearing is, is that correct?
So I'll just place that on the motor shaft near the fan and that would connect the fan blade to the motor shaft?

So the clip lock washer (I've attached a photo to show which type of lock washer I'm talking about) that's placed on the slot/groove of the motor shaft will keep the fan from slipping down/towards the motor I believe? but other than that it won't keep the fan secured/connected to the motor shaft, unless Interference/friction fit is taking place.

(Note- just want to point out these are not my pics; I just found them from Google)

Attachments

• grub screw.jpg
    grub screw.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 445
  • groove circlip.jpg
    groove circlip.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 414
The E clip will prevent the fan from slipping down the motor shaft.....as it sits in a groove, it isn't adjustable.
The grub screw ring does much the same - but it is adjustable. Neither device will secure the fan to the shaft, unfortunately......for that you need to give the fan some attention!
For your project, locking compounds are available, working in the same way as an adhesive.....filling the tiny gap between fan and shaft.
If you could get hold of an aluminium fan, it could be possible to incorporate a grub screw, just to bite onto the motor shaft.
N.B.....the grub screw pic shows a small ball bearing. That's used to block up the grub screw once its been tightened - sort of an anti tamper device.

ahh I understand, thank you for the explanation! Yes I might just try the locking compound, haven't thought of that so I appreciate for your helpful suggestion.
I'll go look for an aluminium fan with the same shaft diameter and will try your method of using the grub screw as well! I can test out a few ways and see which ones seems to be practical for my project :) thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back