Question regarding a new hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I have an existing hot water cylinder which measures around 18 inches in diameter x 36 inches high. I understand it is called a 'standard' hot water cylinder.

I require it to be replaced. The existing cylinder has a feed in at the bottom, an output at the top, feeds to the coils and also a feed to a power shower pump.

My plumber has advised me on a price for a new copper cylinder which is going to be around 18 inches across but by around 48 inches high therefore increasing the capacity.

The question I asked my plumber was whether or not a stainless one could be fitted instead of copper and he advised that these were generally for high pressure systems and not like my existing system which has a cold water tank arrangement. He said good copper cylinder nowaways should last 15 years.

Can someone advise if it is possible to obtain a stainless replacement for a copper cylinder which would allow for the connections above and also how they compare in cost to copper??

He has said that if I can source a stainless one suitable for my system then he would be able to fit it.

Many Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
thanks Hob, Im always a bit wary of Screwfix on this sort of item, can you provide a link to a really reputable manufacturer?

Sponsored Links
Your plumber is talking out of his arris I'm afraid. Stainless are indeed available for low-pressure systems and, as hobhead has already said, are now cheaper than copper ones due to the surge in the price of copper.

We use the Gledhill Envirofoam cylinders http://www.gledhill.net/pdf/EnviroFoam Stainless.pdf, our local City Plumbing has now virtually ceased stocking copper cylinders and stocks these instead. They make one in the size you require and there is a tapping in the side for the shower pump as standard. 10-year warranty but should last much longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back