Question Time.

The most annoying thing is that I read about regular diktats being issued from Brussels which are not in the best interests of our nation

A genuine question - care to list a few of the diktats?

Sponsored Links
The most annoying thing is that I read about regular diktats being issued from Brussels which are not in the best interests of our nation

A genuine question - care to list a few of the diktats?

The top five costliest EU-derived regulations in force in the UK:

1) The UK Renewable Energy Strategy – Recurring cost: £4.7bn a year
2) The CRD IV package – Recurring cost: £4.6bn a year
3) The Working Time Directive – Recurring cost: £4.2bn a year
4) The EU Climate and Energy Package – Recurring cost: £3.4bn a year
5) The Temporary Agency Workers Directive – Recurring cost: £2.1bn a year

http://openeurope.org.uk/intelligence/britain-and-the-eu/top-100-eu-rules-cost-britain-33-3bn/

Sponsored Links
... I am not a xenophobe...

so you say...

...the greasy Greek ...
I apologise for my sense of humour (although some may call it sarcasm).

One of my relatives in America is of Greek extraction.
In addition to the Queen, one of the few Royals who I like and respect in Phil the Greek (oops, there I go again!).

I do not hate foreigners in general. As I've said before, I take people as I find them - even the Frogs.

And your objection to any/all of those pieces of legislation is because:

a) They are EU driven?
b) They cost money?
c) Some other reason?

There is, of course, the cost of belonging.

During the LBC leader’s debate UKIP leader Nigel Farage claimed the UK’s membership fee of the EU is “£55 million a day” – the equivalent of about £20 billion in total per year.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg disputes the claims, saying “If you actually count the rebate, if you count what British farmers, for instance, receive from the Common Agricultural Policy, it is less than half that figure”.

It’s reasonable to describe £55 million as our “membership fee”, but it ignores the fact that we get money back as well. In other words, £55 million a day represents the UK’s ‘gross contributions’ to EU institutions. Our net contributions are the equivalent of £33 million per day on these terms.

https://fullfact.org/economy/cost_eu_membership_gross_net_contribution-30887

Kippers and Xenophobes think they are the majority.

They aren't.

I'm sure there are plenty of spare rooms in your house John, seeing as you're such a nice person perhaps we should arrange for you to have one migrant in each room stay at your house ?
Yes, I'm sure Hampshire is very nice this time of year - or any time of year.

a) They are EU driven?
b) They cost money?
c) Some other reason?
All three.

(a) We are capable of creating our own laws, and have been doing so successfully for centuries. In fact, we have been an example to the world (perhaps excepting the past few decades) of how to run our country.

(b) They cost us money which should not be spent on the whim of a bureaucrat in Brussels who does not have our interests at heart.

(c) The EU is interested only in making all of its member states kow tow to it's decisions. I hope that I may be excused for suspecting that their ultimate motive is to create a European superstate in which we lose our sovereignty.

In addition to the 'costliest five' given, there are so many more examples of how we are losing out for the benefit of others. One good example is the loss of our right to prevent others overfishing in our own waters.

a) They are EU driven?
b) They cost money?
c) Some other reason?
All three.

(a) We are capable of creating our own laws, and have been doing so successfully for centuries. In fact, we have been an example to the world (perhaps excepting the past few decades) of how to run our country.

(b) They cost us money which should not be spent on the whim of a bureaucrat in Brussels who does not have our interests at heart.

(c) The EU is interested only in making all of its member states kow tow to it's decisions. I hope that I may be excused for suspecting that their ultimate motive is to create a European superstate in which we lose our sovereignty.

In addition to the 'costliest five' given, there are so many more examples of how we are losing out for the benefit of others. One good example is the loss of our right to prevent others overfishing in our own waters.
(a) Are we still permitted to our own laws? We are now Brussel controlled
(b) The EU always costs us money. How much do we we pay daily?
(c) A European superstate would never exist considering the problems with Greece etc.
Over fishing in our own waters whilst other countries ( Spain for example ) are permitted to breach our waters and over fish.
Do they fish on the Spanish coastline? If so, let's get over there to rob them.
We need to protect our own and sod the EU

(b) The EU always costs us money. How much do we we pay daily?
EFL explained (above) that we pay £55 million per day but, after rebates, our payments equal £33 million per day.

I find the fact that we hand over £33 million to Brussels every day absolutely disgusting. And why? What do we get for that money? All I can see is ridiculous rule after ridiculous rule which almost invariably doesn't benefit us in any way or, if it does make sense, is something we could easily decide to do ourselves.

Where does the money go? I suggest three destinations?
1. Poorer countries which are members of the EU.
2. MEPs whose function is to come up with ideas of questionable value to justify their jobs.
3. A vast army of administrators whose function is to produce literally tons of paperwork.

1. This could be achieved independently as part of our already generous foreign aid budget, and the amount paid could be decided by our own government.
2 and 3. These serve absolutely no genuine purpose whatsoever.

I'm afraid the UK has for a long time been quite expert at wasting money, but our continued membership of the EU is by far the worst example.

33 million thats about 50p per person per day ??
not exactly a kings ransom :rolleyes:

33 million thats about 50p per person per day ??
not exactly a kings ransom :rolleyes:
It's only 1/2p an hour each.
It's £12billion a year.

Assuming you are a family of four, would you like it if they sent you a bill for £730 every year instead?
the point i a making is banding about unimaginable amounts is fairly pointless as they mean very little
yes £730 is more off a sensible amount as its nearer a household share but to be honest if we are doing well we should put more into the kitty than we take out that's the way society works
a family off 4 on low income will perhaps contribute perhaps £100 a year
where as someone on say 60k a year may pay 3k with all the benefits we gain i dont think its wasted money
yes we can all moan if something isnt to our likeing but thats the way society works we do well and contribute more to help the less fortunate in our society:D

Sponsored Links
Back