Questions about functionality of Honeywell alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at the Honeywell series of alarms as people do appear to consider these to be one of the best in the range and I don't mind spending a bit more to get quality items. I will likely get an installer (had some quotes a while back which is where a reasonable amount of my knowledge came from) as I am just too short of time these days, but there is a possibility I will DIY it.

I am looking for wireless as rather not have the damage of wired system as place been recently redecorated and with 5xPIRs, 1 x Door contact, panic button, proximity tags, been recommended an internal siren with an external decoy box.

Overall the Galaxy range seems highly recommended.

A few items I am currently confused with is
1) panel - G20 seems sufficient for me, but I have seen some people on this forum talking about the G12 (although not sure if G12 is wired) - is there an advantage over here
2) Proximity tag question, if a family member was to lose the keys with the tag on it, could I remotely stop the tag from working or can this only be done from the control box
3) Proximity tag - can you e.g. give a tag to a cleaner and only set it so her tag will work on a specified day?
4) One thing I am toying with is whether to get monitored or not, if I went monitored and then later decided to go bells only, is it easy to add a GSM module to the kit at a later date so it texts you?

Thanks for the help all.

Sponsored Links
I am looking for wireless as rather not have the damage of wired system as place been recently redecorated and with 5xPIRs, 1 x Door contact, panic button, proximity tags, been recommended an internal siren with an external decoy box.

All seems sensible enough. Panic button may have to be a radio fob, as I don't think there's a wireless mounted panic button in the range. I would go for an external siren, as although they are annoying, they do scare off the opportunist who doesn't want to draw attention to themselves.

1) panel - G20 seems sufficient for me, but I have seen some people on this forum talking about the G12 (although not sure if G12 is wired) - is there an advantage over here

The advantage is in the number of zones available. G2-12 has 12. G2-20 can be expanded to 20 with the addition of a RIO. All the G2 panels have 12 hardwired zones, but these can be turned into wireless on a per zone basis with the addition of the RF portal module. You can only get the number of total zones equivalent to the panel model though.

2) Proximity tag question, if a family member was to lose the keys with the tag on it, could I remotely stop the tag from working or can this only be done from the control box

If you have IP based control, then you could connect to your panel and remove the users tag code from the menu system in the same way you would when at the keypad.

3) Proximity tag - can you e.g. give a tag to a cleaner and only set it so her tag will work on a specified day?

Not with the G2 series. If you have IP based self monitoring, you could have the system provide an E-mail, SMS or call you when that users tag is used though.

4) One thing I am toying with is whether to get monitored or not, if I went monitored and then later decided to go bells only, is it easy to add a GSM module to the kit at a later date so it texts you?

You will need a G2-44+ if you want to have detailed SMS via GSM module for the Galaxy. The G2 GSM module is obsolete and costs £270+.

Self monitoring with IP is under £50 for the module and around £1 a month on any Galaxy panel.

Things you will need:

- G2-12/20/44 depending on the zones you need. (~£35 for a G2-12)
- CP038-01 Keyprox Keypad (~£40)
- C079 module if you want RF devices (~£40)
- RF contacts and PIR's (~£25ea)
- Fused spur to connect the panel in to
- 12V 7AH battery (~£15)- Yuasa is a decent make
- A231 GSM Module (£271 + delivery) If you want GSM SMS + SIM costs
- LCE-01 Module (£49) If you want to remote control or self monitor with SMS,Email or Voice. Alternative is Honeywell's E080 Ethernet module (£180) which also enables IP based self monitoring, but does not support keypad apps on the G2.
- Internal speaker (8 Ohm) (~£15)
- Internal Siren (~£20)
- External Siren (~£45) for a twin piezo 115db

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back