Quick question about silicone sealant on bath screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new fixed bath screen in one of my bathrooms.

The way it works (I'm sure many/most are like this) is you drill a vertical 80cm bracket into the wall, and then the 80cm high screen slots into this bracket on top of the side of the tub, and you screw the screen edge into the bracket. I then siliconed the bottom of the screen where it meets the side of the tub, no problem.

Now, when you turn the shower on, water seems to be going through the channels between the screen edge and the bracket and coming out on the other side.

Should I be siliconing the vertical line between the screen and bracket all the way top to bottom on BOTH inside and outside?

I heard somewhere maybe you shouldn't do the inside, but only the outside? Maybe because you don't want water to be trapped inside there and get mouldy?

If I wait for everything to be dry, then silicone both inside and outside, I would presume water wouldn't get in at all so no need to worry about that?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't mean this the way it'll come across in type, but did you read the manufacturers instructions and if yes what did they advise? Regardless, I think I know the section you're referring to and, if it's fitted correctly but letting water through, then apply thin beads of clear silicon wherever required and that should solve the problem. Also try to determine if that's definitely where the water is getting through before completing the above steps as it might be getting through somewhere else.

It's normally a good idea to run a bead of silicone along the back of the wall channel profile before screwing it in place and also, a short horizontal bead (the width of the channel) at its heel, where it stands at junction between bath and wall. Then when fitted, a bead horizontally and vertically on outside only. But: as above, check the MIs.

Normally on these you silicone the outside only, and leave the inside unsealed, but silicone the channel to the wall to stop the water getting between the tiles and the channel. Manufacturers instructions will advise though

Sponsored Links
The instructions didn't say anything about siliconing actually.

Damn, looks like it's too late to silicon the inside of the bracket/channel where the screen attaches to it. Will just have to do the outside first and see if that stops any leaks. Then maybe in the inside too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back