Quickie- can you bleed radiators with a pressurised Megaflo system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Original, 15 year old radiators. Megaflo put in 4 years ago (I think); and heating (radiators) also on it.

Can you air-bleed these radiators or does it destroy the pressure?

Sponsored Links
The Megaflow is for hot water from your taps, and is unrelated to the water in the radiators.

The heating system is probably sealed, so if you let air/water out of the radiators, some more water will need to be put in, typically by opening one or more valves as described here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Plumbing:faq6

If the rads are cold at the tops of them but warm at the bottom the yes you need to bleed them, this will drop the pressure indicated on the pressure gauge (normaly fitted in compartment with megaflow) theres usually a silver flexi pipe with black handled valves (filling loop) where you increase the pressure back to normal after bleeding.

You may have to bleed/fill/bleed/fill/bleed/fill to get all the air out if there is alot

(normaly fitted in compartment with megaflow)

Should have been clearer this is system dependant, up here thats how most are fitted, but as said, the filling loop/pressure gauge may be located in or around the boiler too

Sponsored Links
My advice is to NEVER start bleeding rads unless there is a real requirement to do so and you know EXACTLY how to do it and restore the pressure.

When the weather gets colder, about a quarter of calls I get are from people who think these is some mythical need to bleed rads at the beginning of the winter!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back