Quote to build a small office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the ultimate "how long is a bit of string" question, but I'm after the roughest of rough ballpark guideline figures, and I can't even give specific details yet. Something even just to the nearest £5K or even £10K would give me some idea.

I'm trying to get a small one-room office built in a back garden. Its internal space might need to be about 8ft x 10ft (told you it was small). It needs to be built to "normal" residential construction standards, i.e. not just a portacabin or whatever. Not sure about the roof, but not a flat roof. Double glazed windows and door.

Based on that little info, and given that I KNOW no-one's going to give me a proper quote without a lot more info, etc - is anyone prepared to take a guess? I'm really just trying to see if this is feasible or not before going any further, that's all.

Take a stab in the dark anyone?

Sponsored Links
think garages are around 10 .........so 15 ;) :confused:

Thanks - for such an open-ended question I'm not sure if I was expecting an answer or not. That's given me a guideline anyway which is exactly what I was after.

If anyone else wants to say "no, higher" or better still "probably lower" then feel free.

I would go with Nige about 10k-15k for a good spec finished office space from ground.
Pete

Sponsored Links
10 to 15 for an 8x10 one room! That's a joke.

Have you considered timber frame, it could still be to building standards. Build off of a concrete slab. Need to make sure insulation in floor, walls and ceiling are appropriate thickness, plasterboard the inside, could even stick a velux in a pitched roof. I'd say about 3 grand max for that size.

Deluks said:
10 to 15 for an 8x10 one room! That's a joke.

Have you considered timber frame, it could still be to building standards. Build off of a concrete slab. Need to make sure insulation in floor, walls and ceiling are appropriate thickness, plasterboard the inside, could even stick a velux in a pitched roof. I'd say about 3 grand max for that size.

£3K! Are you mad? You realise it's to have it built?

Yeh buts its the size of a garden shed! I wondering if it's worth building an office this small. I'd say he should either go bigger to make it worthwhile, or just buy a log cabin and insulate.

Deluks said:
Yeh buts its the size of a garden shed! I wondering if it's worth building an office this small. I'd say he should either go bigger to make it worthwhile, or just buy a log cabin and insulate.

the o.p. did specifically ask for costs relating to "normal residential building standards". :confused:

but i do see your point Deluks. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back