Quotes on felt or fibreglass roof for concrete outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Newbie to the forum :)

In my back garden, I have a 3.5m x 7m (approx 24m2) concrete block outbuilding (at least 30 years old) with a single pitch (approx 5 degrees) corrugated roof supported by timber joists. The roof is leaking and sagging in places and I have had two separate quotes, both suggesting the complete replacement of the roof. My goal is to make the building weather proof but also to improve the acoustic insulation, so I have also requested an insulated ceiling to be added. Both quotes said I needed more joists added to support a new roof properly.

The first quote is approx £4900 (incl VAT) for a replacement felt roof. It was a comprehensive typed quote completely itemised (but only one price at the end). Due to the age of the structure and the cement covered corrugated roof, the roofer suspected an asbestos covering, so a portion of the quote includes proper disposal of the old roof (including certificate of disposal).

The second quote is approx £3400 (incl VAT) for a replacement fibre glass roof. I queried the removal of the old roof and that it might be asbestos and they did not seem particularly fussed about it. On the hand written quote, again was a single price and just a mention of removal of the old roof (no mention of proper disposal).

Both these quotes seem quite high, so far I've been unable to get any one else out to view and quote but will keep trying. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the quotes I've received so far and any advice to give and whether I should go for felt or fibre glass? There will be no foot traffic on the roof.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Or more simply, which is more suitable for a concrete building, felt roof or fibreglass?

Sorry, can't offer any help on the value of the quotes, but I personally would need a sit down at those prices.

I think the general trend these days is to go for EDPM Rubber for flat roofs. Easier, cheaper and potentially DIY-able for something like a free-standing outhouse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back