Radiator cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a decent radiator clearner? I've been getting hot rads upstairs and cold rads down, assuming its a blockage as pump runs fine. However the boiler does fire up for only 20 seconds at a time, goes of 20 secs etc.

I'm going to drain down the system today (saunier duval) and flush out the pipework, see if i can resolve the issue this way.

Could someone recommend a decent cleaner? I dont want the super powerful stuff as i've heard that can cause leaks in the system which i could do without.

many thanks

Naz

Sponsored Links
its a saunier so it will probably leak anyway :LOL:

sentinel is good stuff x800 ;)

dont say that! i really could do without any leaks!

i take it these sauniers are a pile of pants?

I'll see if BnQ have that sentinel x800 and give it a try

Just seen this on the BnQ website, is this any good?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1287397237308&isSearch=true

sentinel_x400.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I dont want the super powerful stuff as i've heard that can cause leaks in the system which i could do without.

Why would it CAUSE a leak? The worst it will do is clean out the gunk, exposing an existing condition, thereby bringing it to your notice. If it does it when being cleaned, it is only a matter of time before it lets go anyway.

I've done a lot of powerflushing, using KAMCO stuff. I've had oinly one rad. leak, and when I explained the situation (I always pre warn clients of thnis possibility), nipped away, bought and fitted a new rad, the customer was actually grateful and pleased with the work. As he said, at least I was around when it occured.

But no, there isn't anything wrong with Sentinel, as far as I am aware.

As an amateur, I prefer X400. It is mild but effective in loosening sludge and sediment, it has a sort of detergent action. You leave it circulating for up to 4 weeks before draining it out, with the loosened sludge suspended in it, and rinse it before refilling with the use of an inhibitor such as X100.

You will know it is starting to work when the circulating water goes jet black with loosened sediment. If you can afford an extra £100 or so, a Magnaclean or Spirovent will continue accumulating particles from the water for many years to come, and prevent further accumulations.

I have also used the more powerful acidic cleaners, but these are quite aggressive. For example some dripped (diluted) from the drain cock onto my jacket and burned holes in it.

View media item 390
BTW if you have an old open-vented system with a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, bale out all the mud and sponge it clean before you add the chemical. No point is washing extra dirt down there. You will have to drain out a bucket or so of water from the drain cock, so that the system draws down the chemical as it refills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back