Radiator in existing conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I have been considering a roof conversion from polycarbonate to tiled. From looking around on the internet, I am almost certain planning permission is required which is fine.

However whilst looking at all the regs I have worried myself...

My conservatory has a radiator in it and it is linked to my main central heating system. The radiator has temperature controls on it, but it does not have a separate thermostat. From what I have read this is no longer allowed (and because it doesn't have a separate thermostat i'm not sure it has ever been allowed!). The conservatory was installed in 2005 by the original owners and we are the third occupants (i.e. has sold twice without issue). I do have a letter from 2005 from the local building control authority to the original owners stating that planning permission was not required based on the information provided (problem is I don't know what information was actually provided!).

Basically I wanted to know if a) will have a problem when I sell b) have a problem when getting planning permission if decide to change the roof and they clock the radiator!

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The offending rad didn't put you off buying the house, nor did it put off the previous owners.

True, conservatory rads should be separate from the main house system, but so what? If your building inspector spots it, they can't clap you in irons because enforcement action for these things is time-limited, and you will be well out of time by now.

In any case, in putting a tiled roof on, you will presumably be improving the situation vis-a-vis heat loss, so your bco can't really complain.

Maybe the structural aspects of putting a tiled roof on a conservatory are more important?

Thanks for the reply. It didn't put us off no you are right although at the time I never really thought about the regs, I assumed all was OK after conveyancer checked and said no problem.

Yes definitely the structural implications are more important and will be looking into this more (we have a uPVC conservatory, so pretty certain it will need reinforcing). I have read some interesting stuff online about how many of these companies are ignoring building regs etc... This document was helpful: http://www.labc.uk.com/Media/Default/Public Documents/labc_4258 A4 5pp BestPractice v4.pdf

I Just wanted to check this issue with the radiator first as stumbled upon this issue whilst looking at the roof issue.

Sponsored Links
It's quite likely that your local authority will regard your conservatory as no longer exempt from building regulations, because of the solid roof you're putting on it. If so, the radiator is neither here nor there, as they'd expect the conservatory to comply in any case, in terms of structure, energy efficiency and so on.

That's if you mention it to them ...

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back